HP Z800 PSU repairs, anyone?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Earlier this year, I got a HP Z800 workstation computer for dirt cheap, $250 or so, off eBay. It's a pretty well configured machine, 2x X5675, 48GB, etc. It was purchased for my 3rd grader son to play, learn, and do homework on. It's worked great until about 2 weeks ago, where it now randomly resets or shuts off. Searching online, this seems to be a common problem with HP Z800 power supplies; some claim bad capacitors. I'm not shy of doing such repairs myself, but in this case, I tore apart the PSU and found no visual signs to indicate which capacitors may have gone bad, or if it even is a capacitor issue. The PSU tests fine in standalone, but when there's a load, *sometimes* it shuts off, or cycles between on and off repeatedly. There's a clicking sound, sort of like a relay, and my guess is that it's some protection circuit that is flipping the relay.

I'm wondering if there might be other STH members here familiar with this issue that I can discuss this with? I tried to throw money at this problem, but ended up with a used PSU off eBay that was in worse shape. I figure if I can fix the PSU with high quality components, that might be a longer term fix.

Anyone?

Reactions: Sameer

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Capacitors can be defective even if they don't show any unusual visual signs - to check them you have to use an esr meter.
Yup, ESR meter is my next purchase at this point. And yes, I realize caps can fail with no visual signs; just mentioning that this one isn't as simple as visual inspection. I'm hoping the ESR will help me identify which cap has gone bad, but although they mention in-circuit, I assume I should desolder at least one leg in case there are caps in parallel?

Take some quality photos of unit and make a thread in 'Power Supply Design and Troubleshooting' over at Badcaps, several users usually give very good help over there.
Thanks for that... didn't really know about that site.

Twist

Oct 15, 2015
Norway
I bought the ESR micro v4, the guy who builds them is a member on Badcaps and if I remember correctly you will get a discount if your a member. I usually lift them of board, I use a Hakko FR300 so it's easy and fast.

It's a good forum, some of the users have high understanding and can give you lots of tips.

Sameer

Apr 1, 2019
Earlier this year, I got a HP Z800 workstation computer for dirt cheap, $250 or so, off eBay. It's a pretty well configured machine, 2x X5675, 48GB, etc. It was purchased for my 3rd grader son to play, learn, and do homework on. It's worked great until about 2 weeks ago, where it now randomly resets or shuts off. Searching online, this seems to be a common problem with HP Z800 power supplies; some claim bad capacitors. I'm not shy of doing such repairs myself, but in this case, I tore apart the PSU and found no visual signs to indicate which capacitors may have gone bad, or if it even is a capacitor issue. The PSU tests fine in standalone, but when there's a load, *sometimes* it shuts off, or cycles between on and off repeatedly. There's a clicking sound, sort of like a relay, and my guess is that it's some protection circuit that is flipping the relay.

I'm wondering if there might be other STH members here familiar with this issue that I can discuss this with? I tried to throw money at this problem, but ended up with a used PSU off eBay that was in worse shape. I figure if I can fix the PSU with high quality components, that might be a longer term fix.

Anyone?
Hi, I kinda has the exact same issue here. The issue is that i can't just buy a new Power Supply as they are all used and they cost + shipping almost half as much as i paid for the Workstation itself.
I know this post is old but i thought to give it a shot and ask.

Rally appreciate any help here. P.S. I'm not even sure its the PSU so pointing in that direction is a great help

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Hi, I kinda has the exact same issue here. The issue is that i can't just buy a new Power Supply as they are all used and they cost + shipping almost half as much as i paid for the Workstation itself.
I know this post is old but i thought to give it a shot and ask.

Rally appreciate any help here. P.S. I'm not even sure its the PSU so pointing in that direction is a great help
unfortunately, the options were not great for me. the 1st replacement PSU i got from eBay was bad out of the box. I returned it and got myself a ESR meter. I tried to use the ESR to see if I could find the bad component in the PSU and replace it, but I could not find what was wrong with it. I had a friend who's been electronics repairs most of his life take a look at it, and he couldn't pinpoint the problem either. Meanwhile, I found another PSU on eBay for about $70 that had a slightly newer revision number, so I gave that a try and that has so far been stable. This PSU problem seems to be very widespread for HP Z800 machines, and I found many other people with the same problem. Some of them were able to pinpoint their problem to a failing capacitor on 5VSB, but I don't think that was the problem in my case.

Reactions: gb00s

cjawia

Sep 20, 2020
I have this same problem with my HP Z800 too. But my problem has some slight variations.
1. The computer will start up, and it will run.
2. When I turn off or put it in sleep mode the computer will NOT shut down.

Problem:
It will get to the end of the shut down cycle and then turn back on again with a loud click coming from somewhere in the computer (most likely the power supply)

Mitigation attempts:
1. The only way to get it to fully shut off and not potentially burn out my computer is to physically unplug the computer.
2. When I do unplug it, the clicking still continues for about 10 - 15 seconds afterwards as energy drains down.

The only thing that can keep those electrical components clicking (after it's unplugged) is a capacitor (natures battery). There are capacitors everywhere in my machine, but I"m sure the power supply has a bunch of them.