HP Z640 Headless Boot??

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

louie1961

May 15, 2023
I have an HP Z640 workstation that I have pressed into service as a proxmox host. I am not doing GPU pass through and would love to be able to run this without the included Nvidia Quadro card that it came with, just to lower the idle power draw and free up a PCIe slot. Unfortunately, the bios won't post when the GPU is removed. The system gives an error beep, displays the red LED power button (an error message) and then shuts down. If I re-install the GPU all returns to normal. Is there a hack or a workaround to enable this machine to run headless?

bigfellasdad

Apr 10, 2018
does your cpu have igpu? if it does check your bios to enable it, if not...... you need your gpu

its always going to be power hungry even without a gpu though

UhClem

just another Bozo on the bus
Jun 26, 2012
NH, USA
I've got a Z440, with that same annoying requirement. (If you haven't already,) You can move the Quadro from an x16 (g3) slot to the x1 (g2; open-ended) slot.

louie1961

May 15, 2023
does your cpu have igpu? if it does check your bios to enable it, if not...... you need your gpu

its always going to be power hungry even without a gpu though
No I am running a xeon E5-2690v3. With 5 SSD drives and 2 NVMe drives and 64gb of ram, I have gotten my overall idle power consumption down to 58 watts. I can probably knock off another 10 or 15 watts.

XeonSam

Aug 23, 2018
I do this with Z840's the big brother to Z640. I use a crappy quadro card like K620 (worth $10) on the X1 PCIe slot and get a power draw of <15W from the low end quadro card. Also, these cards can run 24/7 as they're supposed to be professional cards.

You can reduce power consumption by reducing NVMe drives, especially if they're U.2 or PCIe cards. Older models will consume 10W idle and 25W usage. SATA will always use less wattage. How about increasing the size of the SATA drives and getting rid of the NVMe? Also, if you go with a v4, with less cores/clock you should be able to reduce this more. 90v3 is over kill with only 64GB ram. You'll never reach full CPU usage, but you'll easily cap out on ram with virtualization. Go with E5-2680v4, these are like 15 bucks on ebay and are only max 120W TDP or even a E5-2618Lv4 - 75W max TDP.

louie1961

May 15, 2023
Do I have to install windows on the bare hardware or I can I run the utility from my windows 11 VM? I guess I'll have to try it

XeonSam

Aug 23, 2018
Windows??? where did that come from. Install your type I hypervisor (proxmox) and create a windows VM. Unless you're going Hyper V.

UhClem

just another Bozo on the bus
Jun 26, 2012
NH, USA
HP has a very nifty (pair of) UNSUPPORTED tool(s) for configuring (and updating) the BIOS directly from the Linux command-line, as root. See [Link].

Using it, I was able to set both a Z440 and a Z4 G4 to Headless Boot, and have removed their graphics cards. It looks like (almost?) all future BIOS SetUp configuring can now be done, directly, via Linux. I haven't yet tested the Flash tool (both workstations "servers" are on latest BIOS), but I feel confident.

Additional insight/ideas can be found here [Link].

Kahooli

Dec 3, 2022
To set headless mode, plug a USB drive into the mobo slots, go into BIOS. Go to "replicated setup". Save the current config to USB. Open the file in an OS text editor and edit the line regarding headless, save. Go back into BIOS and load that file.