HP Z420 and KC1000

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Erling Johansen

Nov 24, 2018
Hi,

Hardware: HP Z420 (with latest BIOS), PCIe Gen 3 x4
Software: Windows 10 (1903)

Under "Disk drives" I can see "KINGSTON SKC1000480G" and "WDC WD5000...".
And under "Storage controllers" I can see "Standard NVM Express-controller".

Running DISKPART | list disk, I can only see the WDC WD (system disk for Windows 10) listed as disk 0.

How do I get access to the Kingston SSD-disk?

Best regard, Erling

posternutbag

Jan 2, 2019
Hardware: HP Z420 (with latest BIOS), PCIe Gen 3 x4 Software: Windows 10 (1903)
Under "Disk drives" I can see "KINGSTON SKC1000480G" and "WDC WD5000...".
And under "Storage controllers" I can see "Standard NVM Express-controller".
Running DISKPART | list disk, I can only see the WDC WD (system disk for Windows 10) listed as disk 0.
How do I get access to the Kingston SSD-disk?
I've not had issues with the Zx20 series recognizing an NVME drive. Booting to one of course you have to use a workaround, but not issues with Windows recognizing it. I assume you have the pcie slot version, or have the m.2 version plugged into an adapter card? Which slot on the motherboard is it plugged into? What SATA mode are you using in bios?

Erling Johansen

Nov 24, 2018
I've not had issues with the Zx20 series recognizing an NVME drive. Booting to one of course you have to use a workaround, but not issues with Windows recognizing it. I assume you have the pcie slot version, or have the m.2 version plugged into an adapter card? Which slot on the motherboard is it plugged into? What SATA mode are you using in bios?
Hi, I just upgraded to System BIOS J61 v03.95.

This is the model I use:

I have tried all PCIE slots on the motherboard, and the settings in BIOS is all default.

Regards, Erling

Erling Johansen

Nov 24, 2018
Hi, I just upgraded to System BIOS J61 v03.95.

This is the model I use:

I have tried all PCIE slots on the motherboard, and the settings in BIOS is all default.

Regards, Erling
Aha, I figured it out. The NVMe disk(s) had been used on a two-node Windows 2016 cluster to test S2D.
I installed Windows Server 2016 and removed the "read-only storage space", and now the NVMe shows up in DISK PART.

Kindest regards, Erling