HP vs Mellanox Firmware

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

natanbackwards

Aug 24, 2023
Just got some HP 544+QSFP NICs ( AKA 764736-001 764284-B21 ). Is there a reason to not stick with the standard HP firmware on these? It appears as up to date as the official Mellanox firmware. Any issues I might be missing?

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Mellanox used to have a more recent firmware than the oems, but after "eol"ing the cards some oems got even newer firmware than what mellanox officially released for the vanilla cards.

If the firmware version is the same, I would say stick with it.

klui

Feb 3, 2019
Don't go with the OEM firmware if planning on using non-Mellanox or non-OEM's optics. I had HP CX3 that had the same version as Mellanox's last firmware and it would not link with Arista or Intel transceivers. Cross-flashed with Mellanox version and they linked right up.

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
"some oems got even newer firmware than what mellanox officially released" Can you remember seeing a changelog from the OEM? Otherwise I bet they ran out of optics and needed to extend their whitelist to another manufacturer or model.

natanbackwards

Aug 24, 2023
Don't go with the OEM firmware if planning on using non-Mellanox or non-OEM's optics. I had HP CX3 that had the same version as Mellanox's last firmware and it would not link with Arista or Intel transceivers. Cross-flashed with Mellanox version and they linked right up.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. For now I am trying to stick to Mellanox DACs so hopefully I won't have issues.