HP switch warranty exchange experience [warning: RANT]

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

poto

May 18, 2013
So, I returned home Monday night to find a failed 24-port 1gb switch - nothing exotic, HP1810-24g. Did basic troubleshooting, pwr cycle, check pwr cord, cables, mgt interface - no go.

No problem, this switch was chosen because it has lifetime warranty with expedited advance replacement service. Verified serial#, warranty @hp.com, logged into account & created trouble ticket.

Received email response within 1hr - very impressive - verified shipping address, RMA process initiated.

Tuesday
1st sign of things amiss: received follow-up email requesting company email id, without which switch replacement could not proceed. Responded with .edu mail address to move things along, even though I had already told rep. this was home-lab, personal-use equipment.

Received confirmation order#, pre-printed return labels, expected receipt date Wed, all good, back to normal.

Wednesday
2nd glitch: received email prompting digital signature of verification form? "If we do not receive your signed form in 3 days I will need to cancel your order." But if my order has an eta of Wed, how could my order be cancelled in 3 days? Oh, I get it, my order is NOT shipping after all.

Proceeded with digital signage similar to IRS audit, and then IMMEDIATELY received the following email:

Good Day,

Due to recent activity on your account we need you to provide a Proof of Purchase (POP) for the units for which you are requesting warranty parts.

Please submit a copy of your full proof of purchase (including the order/invoice number, place of purchase, subtotal). Also two pictures will be required; one of the serial number tag that is affixed to your Hewlett-Packard device you are requesting warranty service for. It is a sticker that has the serial number on it. The other picture will need to be of the unit showing the product name. Please send this information to:CSR_Queue@HP.com for warranty verification

Please note the HP Hardware Limited Warranty General Terms states, “You may be required to provide proof of purchase or lease as a condition of receiving warranty service.

OK, I see where we are going now. I respond via email with photos of unit and serial#, etc, but, shame on me, I don't have original invoice. I explain situation, that I have relocated twice since purchase, not 100% sure which vendor used, but did have unit registered, hoping that would suffice.

Crickets.

I call support, fully expecting rejection, but the support tech shocks me by offering to escalate my case, hopefully waiving the invoice requirement.

Thursday

Received call from cust. support; good news, RMA approved! However, I have to give a delivery window where DHL can pick up the failed switch, and then tender the replacement unit. Weird, but I'll play along to get this over with.

Receive call from customer fulfillment; bad news again, switch is out of stock. I inquire about eta, told that they would need to contact "logistics team" and call me back. sigh

Same person calls again 2hrs later to repeat OOS status, and that they have no eta available. I express skepticism that HP RAN OUT OF SWITCHES, and asked that they substitute ANY working 24-port, rack-mounted, 1gb switch. Mumble, mumble, ..."escalation team"...gibberish, will have to get back to me. I propose that they share news of google.com with "escalation team", and find the dozens of available listings for that exact model available for sale. That probably did not help, but everyone has limits.

End of day Thursday: crickets again

I fully acknowledge that I should have saved the invoice, but my true mistake was getting in the clown-car with HP support, and letting them drive me off a cliff. I would rather have been competently rejected at the start than be subjected to this sad, bumbling, charade. Even if they do replace the switch, probably by mis-shipping someone else's switch to me, it will only remind me of how far Hewlett-Packard has fallen.

Friday update:

Called procurve network support, same script - "upgrade escalation, logistics team, no eta right now, will update..."

I verified that the contract level does call for next-day advance ship support, and they agreed, but said there was nothing they could do, the part was out of stock.

I asked for shipment of equivalent part, new or refurb, as it was now 4 business days since ticket opened. They said I would need to speak to manager, then did 3 rounds of "I'm the manager (not just the person in the next cubicle pretending)" I guess they ran out of people at the call center, because they switched to the eternal hold technique.

My take on HP is that if you have a large corporate account, with a sales rep. to personally browbeat results from service dept, you might be ok. If you are an individual purchaser, better off going with no-name clone and treat as consumable, like a toner cartridge.

Time to cut my losses, holiday next week. Will update when/if HP re-engages.

Update:

HP did deliver, after some nagging on my part, so I will write my experience off as an outlier. I was relieved to hear from some of the other responses that my situation was atypical, as my past experience with HP support was excellent.

HP contacted me Friday afternoon (5 business days into ticket) and notified me that they had located replacement part, and would deliver to me that day. Delivery happened as promised, with return label included. As I was boxing up defective switch for return, 2nd courier arrived to pick up switch.

Thanks to all who offered support, suggestions, and general commiseration. I feel better prepared for future support encounters, hopefully waaay in the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: Patrick and T_Minus

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Wow, don't they have a turn around guarantee? I would be playing up to that ASAP.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Another good point -- if you can -- squaretrade on ebay for used stuff is CHEAP, and i've had great luck with squaretrade repairs and replacements in the past.

neo

Mar 18, 2015
The reason it's out of stock is due to them wanting to send you a refurbished switch - not new. I've been in a similar RMA situation from another company. The exact product was not available so they offered me an upgraded variant, after waiting a month.

Last edited:

cheezehead

Sep 23, 2012
Midwest, US
Ouch, I recently RMA'd a 2524 (10/100)....pulled it out of storage for a lab scenario and had a nice fault light on it. Opened a support ticket online, got a followup with we are running very low on stock for that particular model and offered to replace with a newer model. I ended up going the newer model route however, all newer model switches have since dropped the old lifetime warranty. There is a warranty on it but they are moving to more of a support contract model ala Cisco.

Total turn-around from the time I opened the ticket till I received the RMA was 4 days.

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
Bummer of an experience. Very sorry to hear it. I have had good luck with HP switch support. I suspect that this one tactic might help: Do everything you can to make yourself look like a large company instead of a home user.
I buy used HP switches from eBay. They occasionally show up bad, and I have always gotten a no-hassle next-day replacement from HP support. They ask no questions nor ask for proof of purchase. They just ship the new switch and a box in which to send back the old one.

So, I returned home Monday night to find a failed 24-port 1gb switch - nothing exotic, HP1810-24g. Did basic troubleshooting, pwr cycle, check pwr cord, cables, mgt interface - no go.

No problem, this switch was chosen because it has lifetime warranty with expedited advance replacement service. Verified serial#, warranty @hp.com, logged into account & created trouble ticket.

Received email response within 1hr - very impressive - verified shipping address, RMA process initiated.

Tuesday
1st sign of things amiss: received follow-up email requesting company email id, without which switch replacement could not proceed. Responded with .edu mail address to move things along, even though I had already told rep. this was home-lab, personal-use equipment.

Received confirmation order#, pre-printed return labels, expected receipt date Wed, all good, back to normal.

Wednesday
2nd glitch: received email prompting digital signature of verification form? "If we do not receive your signed form in 3 days I will need to cancel your order." But if my order has an eta of Wed, how could my order be cancelled in 3 days? Oh, I get it, my order is NOT shipping after all.

Proceeded with digital signage similar to IRS audit, and then IMMEDIATELY received the following email:

Good Day,

Due to recent activity on your account we need you to provide a Proof of Purchase (POP) for the units for which you are requesting warranty parts.

Please submit a copy of your full proof of purchase (including the order/invoice number, place of purchase, subtotal). Also two pictures will be required; one of the serial number tag that is affixed to your Hewlett-Packard device you are requesting warranty service for. It is a sticker that has the serial number on it. The other picture will need to be of the unit showing the product name. Please send this information to:CSR_Queue@HP.com for warranty verification

Please note the HP Hardware Limited Warranty General Terms states, “You may be required to provide proof of purchase or lease as a condition of receiving warranty service.

OK, I see where we are going now. I respond via email with photos of unit and serial#, etc, but, shame on me, I don't have original invoice. I explain situation, that I have relocated twice since purchase, not 100% sure which vendor used, but did have unit registered, hoping that would suffice.

Crickets.

I call support, fully expecting rejection, but the support tech shocks me by offering to escalate my case, hopefully waiving the invoice requirement.

Thursday

Received call from cust. support; good news, RMA approved! However, I have to give a delivery window where DHL can pick up the failed switch, and then tender the replacement unit. Weird, but I'll play along to get this over with.

Receive call from customer fulfillment; bad news again, switch is out of stock. I inquire about eta, told that they would need to contact "logistics team" and call me back. sigh

Same person calls again 2hrs later to repeat OOS status, and that they have no eta available. I express skepticism that HP RAN OUT OF SWITCHES, and asked that they substitute ANY working 24-port, rack-mounted, 1gb switch. Mumble, mumble, ..."escalation team"...gibberish, will have to get back to me. I propose that they share news of google.com with "escalation team", and find the dozens of available listings for that exact model available for sale. That probably did not help, but everyone has limits.

End of day Thursday: crickets again

I fully acknowledge that I should have saved the invoice, but my true mistake was getting in the clown-car with HP support, and letting them drive me off a cliff. I would rather have been competently rejected at the start than be subjected to this sad, bumbling, charade. Even if they do replace the switch, probably by mis-shipping someone else's switch to me, it will only remind me of how far Hewlett-Packard has fallen.

Friday update:

Called procurve network support, same script - "upgrade escalation, logistics team, no eta right now, will update..."

I verified that the contract level does call for next-day advance ship support, and they agreed, but said there was nothing they could do, the part was out of stock.

I asked for shipment of equivalent part, new or refurb, as it was now 4 business days since ticket opened. They said I would need to speak to manager, then did 3 rounds of "I'm the manager (not just the person in the next cubicle pretending)" I guess they ran out of people at the call center, because they switched to the eternal hold technique.

My take on HP is that if you have a large corporate account, with a sales rep. to personally browbeat results from service dept, you might be ok. If you are an individual purchaser, better off going with no-name clone and treat as consumable, like a toner cartridge.

Time to cut my losses, holiday next week. Will update when/if HP re-engages.

Reactions: whitey and Patriot

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Bummer of an experience. Very sorry to hear it. I have actually had good luck with HP switch support. I suspect that this one tactic might help: Do everything you can to make yourself look like a large company instead of a home user.
I buy used HP switches from eBay. They occasionally show up bad, and I have always gotten a no-hassle next-day replacement from HP support. They ask no questions nor ask for proof of purchase. They just ship the new switch and a box in which to send back the old one.
Same experience here dba, concerning to hear varied reports.

dswartz

Jul 14, 2011
I'm confused. While it is nice dba and whitey had this work for them, the OP said the issue was (apparently) because they were out of stock, so your positive experiences don't seem particularly relevant (not trying to be a jerk here, but...)

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Hey if they are out of stock they are out, you'd hope there is no funny business going on, worst case I'd expect them to offer a comprable switch swapout. Bummer they seem to be giving you the run-around.

kevinds

Aug 19, 2017
Found this thread with Google..

My first switch, RMA'd no problem.

Second switch.. Gets interesting..

Talk to support, agree that switch as failed, so they submit for a replacement to be shipped out..

Check back the next day, and I get the OP's experience, need to 'sign' a document asking if I am going to send back the failed hardware or keep it and pay retail for the replacement.. Choose that I will send back the equipment. Then get an email asking for picture of serial number, the switch, and invoice.. Serial number and switch, no problem, explain these have lifetime warranty and the switches are ~10 years old, no idea where the invoice would be.
It is accepted, replacement switch comes, I put the dead one in the box and it goes back out same day..

Now for the third switch (another failed switch) that I have to RMA a few weeks later.. Same process as the second one, and I even included a video of the switch in the online case I opened for it...

Seriously.. Again.. What is going on with this company.. Not believing we have the hardware? It isn't like I kept the previous RMA products.. I got them because they have lifetime warranties, showing as 100 years in my HPE account.

kevinds

Aug 19, 2017
I finally got an answer...

We requested this additional information due to security protocols that Hewlett Packard Enterprise has put in place. All non-corporate email addresses and or non-corporate shipping addresses are being asked to complete an Adobe E-Sign form, provide a full proof of purchase and pictures of the serial number tag off the unit you are requesting warranty service on. We show that the address on file is residential.

kevinds

Aug 19, 2017
Yes I know it was a dead thread, but it was the most applicable. More than that, it was the only search result.

...they do that to prevent people from buying dead switches and trying to RMA them.
Is that the confirmed reason or just a guess? If it is the real reason.. I regret having so much HP/HPE hardware around... CDW didn't have any issue shipping it here.

However if a device has a life-time warranty (100 years) why would it matter who RMA's it.. The hardware shouldn't fail...

I'm thinking the best option going forward is going to be shipping to a 'unit' at the local UPS store...

My first switch, RMA'd with no issue, none of this crap to go through, after that, yes, this crap started. I was expecting to need to do it once, but every time... Argh

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
...they do that to prevent people from buying dead switches and trying to RMA them.
Not that I'd ever buy any HP[E] equipment, but if there is a lifetime warranty, why wouldn't the seller RMA the unit and sell the replacement at a higher price than the dud?

This sounds like they discovered they were losing money and decided to make it as hard as possible to get a replacement under warranty.

FWIW, I bought a used Dell switch and contacted Dell to switch the warranty over to me. It shows up in my account as: "PowerConnect Limited Lifetime/Extended Warranty [start date] August 23, 2012 [end date] January 09, 2040".

Reactions: poto

cheezehead

Sep 23, 2012
Midwest, US
Not that I'd ever buy any HP[E] equipment, but if there is a lifetime warranty, why wouldn't the seller RMA the unit and sell the replacement at a higher price than the dud?
Some people don't know that most Procurve switches have lifetime warranties....there's some deals on ebay for this;).

This sounds like they discovered they were losing money and decided to make it as hard as possible to get a replacement under warranty.
On the business side, I've never had an issue with RMA's on the lifetime gear. Just the ones needing active contracts which somehow keep getting misplaces re-faxing gets annoying

FWIW, I bought a used Dell switch and contacted Dell to switch the warranty over to me. It shows up in my account as: "PowerConnect Limited Lifetime/Extended Warranty [start date] August 23, 2012 [end date] January 09, 2040".
Haven't gone down the PowerConnect route yet, but am familiarizing myself with their gear over the last couple of weeks.