HP smart array P420 in the HPE ml10 gen9

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Eduard Toma

Aug 3, 2020
Hello, I have a HPE ml10 gen9 and wanted to install about 5 hdd (2TB each) in it in RAID 5, but with the onboard raid in the bios, ESXI or Proxmox does not recognize the RAID array.
I bought the HP smart array P420 thinking it will work but I am not able to enter in the RAID controller bios, it shows the initializing with **** and afther that it shows 0 logical drives and goes to the main bios screen.
In the HPE ml10 gen9 bios I have csm support enabled with boot option filter = legacy only.
Thanks in advance.
Best regards
Eduard Toma

tomaash

Oct 11, 2016
Europe, Slovakia
Not sure if it will work, but try launching intelligent provisioning (if gen10 still has it) on boot am open smart storage admin from there. You may still be able to configure the controller from there.

Eduard Toma

Aug 3, 2020
Not sure if it will work, but try launching intelligent provisioning (if gen10 still has it) on boot am open smart storage admin from there. You may still be able to configure the controller from there.
I don't have iLO on it.

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
I'm not sure about P420.. but with the 30/40 series you can download from HPE an iso image that you setup as a USB-key/sdcard and then boot off-of that. It comes up with the Smart Storage Administrator GUI. Basically just a custom linux boot-iso with the controller management app in it. Configure the array in there and off you go.

Eduard Toma

Aug 3, 2020
I tried with a perc h700 and it worked like a charm.
I don't understand why the p420 didn't work with HP but anyway. Than you for your replies.

Jason Antes

Feb 28, 2020
Twin Cities
Is it possible that this was the SMBus pins on the PCIe causing a problem? This is a well known issue when trying to use "server class" expansion cards in desktop systems. The fix was to mask off those pins from the card with electrical tape.