HP SAS Expanders Daisy Chained

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TheRonin

Mar 10, 2013
Nottingham, UK
Can anyone tell me if this will work. I want to use 2 hp expander cards one in each supermicro sc846 case.Case one will have 2 x ibm m1015 cards and the sas expander, case 2 will just have the sas expander connected to 24 drives. I will then connect them both together using the external sas port on both cards. Also can anyone point me in the right direction for a simple board that will power the sas expander in case 2?

TheBay

Feb 25, 2013
UK
Just solder some wires to the PCB or buy a PCI-e riser and solder wires directly to that.

TheRonin

Mar 10, 2013
Nottingham, UK
thanks for the links ;)

think im going to do things a little different now, im going to put a hp expander in both the sc846 cases i have and then connect them both to a spare node i have in my twin2 chassis using a LSI SAS3801E card. reason for the hp expanders and SAS3801E is because i have them in my parts box already. Any thoughts on this setup?

odditory

Dec 23, 2010
I recommend against daisy chaining HP expanders, or expanders in general. I've had some problems in the past when testing this and it can lead to dropped drives or the whole second expander getting dropped. I dont know if it was due to the use of SATA disks, or inadequate cooling on the upstream expander, or the fact that the upstream expander has to reprocess all the traffic from the downstream expander in addition to its own and it was overheating.

Before committing to a daisy chained scenario you'd definitely want to do some testing and with scratch disks, not disks with live data. In my experience I ended up with a corrupted RAID array (but I had backup) caused by the chained configuration and bugs/drive dropping.

In over 3 years of running HP expanders I've never had a problem with sticking to a single expander hanging off a miniSAS port on a controller (so 2 x HP expanders per 8-port Areca or LSI card)

dragonme

Apr 12, 2016
I am having a similar issue I think

I have an lsi9212-4e-4i and trying to test out a new HP expander and a se3016 drive array that has an internal expander

if I connect the 9212 directly to the se3016 with a 8088 cable.. all is fine..

if I connect the 4 internal sata on the 9212 to the hp via a 4 to 8088 reverse brake out and dont connect the se3016 the 9212 shows the HP expander card.. but if I connect the se3016 expander to the HP via 8088.. I get errors on the lsi configuration and discovery at initialization durning post..

so really, the 8088 connector on the HP is really only for 8088 in I guess and not out... IE connecting the HP expander to a HBA though 8088 not connecting the HP to another expander chasis