HP SAS Expander Wiki

Bill Luttmer

Aug 19, 2019
Hello,

I recently got the HP SAS EXP Card firmware 2.06(F), I am trying to update the firmware but its not being recognized in Ubuntu 18.04.

I have installed all updates that I can find, and my raid card is installed and recognized properly. when I run the following cmd the expander doesn't get listed.

lsscsi -g | grep HP

is there something I am missing? I would like to update the firmware.

thank you
Bill

ClintE

Feb 22, 2019
Hello,

I recently got the HP SAS EXP Card firmware 2.06(F), I am trying to update the firmware but its not being recognized in Ubuntu 18.04.

I have installed all updates that I can find, and my raid card is installed and recognized properly. when I run the following cmd the expander doesn't get listed.

lsscsi -g | grep HP

is there something I am missing? I would like to update the firmware.

thank you
Bill
If your raid card has the option, you could try putting it into "passthrough" or IT-mode then restart and see if the system can see the expander. If this doesn't work, you might need to find a cheap LSI-type card that has IT-mode firmware. I know you would be able to see the expander with that type of card. I've never tried connecting one of my expanders to a raid card like Adaptec or Areca, just LSI.

Bill Luttmer

Aug 19, 2019
Ok, thank you, I will see if I can do that, hope I dont have to get a lsi card for this, that seems like a waste, lol, i already have two raid cards that I am currently not using but not lsi.

atlantauser

Jul 21, 2020
I'm trying to understand this card a bit more. It's running firmware 2.10 from what i can tell.

I have an LSI that was crossflashed to 9211-8i IT mode firmware. 2 sff-8087 ports. This is inside a Dell R710 chassis, with 2x backplanes in the front each with 4x drive bays.

I also have an LSI SAS6160 switch, and connected to it are 2x sans digital MS8x6+ chassis' with 8 drives each, and 1x pc-pitstop SASE8 w/ 8x Crucial SSD's.

I've tried connecting the LSI controller to the HP Expander internally on ports 8c or 9c, and then using the internal ports on the hp expander to connect to my internal backplanes in the R710, and the external connector (1c) to my SAS6160. Unfortunately, none of the drives attached to the switch end up being detected by the controller. It can only see the backplane connected drives internally and nothing on the sas6160 or subsequently attached enclosures.

Am I not using this correctly in some way?

Prof_G

Jan 16, 2020
Anyone know if 2 of these work with the raid on board cards like 9260/80’s? I would like to try and get all of my disks on one card. Right now 52 sas 2.5 drives is split over 3 cards.This will make for larger pool and cause less wasted drives in the raid pool covering the redundancy. If this works I will gain about 2 Tb free just by changing over. I’m not super concerned about having to use the onboard raid of the 9260/80’s to perform the management it works fine for me.

Bill Luttmer

Aug 19, 2019
Hello,

Would anyone be able to tell me what the 6 led lights do on the hp expander?

My card is not working and drives not recognized. The 1st 3 lights are solid green.

Any ideas?

Thank you
Bill