HP Proliant DL380 G7 and NC552SFP 10GB... fans spinning?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fredrikn

Oct 23, 2016
Hi!

My first post on this forum, discovered servethehome.com just a few weeks ago. What a huge amout of knowledge!

I have searched thru the forum to find anything about this specific setup but didnt find it. I have a HP Proliant DL380 G7 and want to add a 10 GbE card. I have tested a Intel X520 based card (I think its DELL branded but I'm not sure). This caused the server to spin upp the fans massively. I have learned that this is because the server didnt recognize the card as a genuine HP card (and can't read temps from it and therefore spins the fans to ensure nothing gets broken). Without the Intel card the server is almost quiet with fans around 13 % even with some load and I want it to be that in the future too (I realize that a add on card can give some extra noise but not that much)

Becuse of this I plan to by a HP branded card. I have however read a lot about servers still spinning the fans pretty much even with only a single HP branded card in.

Now to my question:

Is there anyone who have a DL 380 G7 and a HP branded 10 Gbe card like the NC552SFP 10GB Dualport SFP+ or similar that can tell me how the fans behave?