HP ML350p fan speed

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

douze

Mar 19, 2021
Sweden
Hi! Im new to this forum but I have been reading on it for a while. Im hoping that someone could help me understand why my fans are at such high percentage of speed. The server is pretty loud. (Yes, Im aware of the threads about fanmods). I would like to keep the stock fans thou.

From what I read peaople usually gets the fan to spin around 20% with out any issues. My fans are constantly running at 35% speed. Which isn´t necessary.
The server is not hot at all.

Except from "HP Original" parts i run 128Gb of 3rd party memory and I have 8 Seagate Savvio 10K.6 drives installed in original HP caddies.
In iLO everuthing is OK. The CPU temps is always 40c and HD-max is always 50c. They never change for some reason.
The server is configured for "Optimal cooling" in bios.

I will attach some images so you can see how it looks.

Hope someone can give me some answers.
Thanks in advance!

/Robert

Attachments

nasbdh9

Aug 4, 2019
Non-HPE-certified hard drives/solid state drives will cause the fan to rotate at a high speed

douze

Mar 19, 2021
Sweden
Non-HPE-certified hard drives/solid state drives will cause the fan to rotate at a high speed
Yes, I know that these servers are picky about the harddrives. But from what I have read before these Seagate drives should be OK. And they are mounted in original HP drive caddys. But I guess that this might be the reason. In that case I will have to live with that or do the fan mods anyway.

Edit:
Do you think that installing just one HP harddrive will be enough for the server to be happy. Or do all drives need to be from HP?

nasbdh9

Aug 4, 2019
Yes, I know that these servers are picky about the harddrives. But from what I have read before these Seagate drives should be OK. And they are mounted in original HP drive caddys. But I guess that this might be the reason. In that case I will have to live with that or do the fan mods anyway.

Edit:
Do you think that installing just one HP harddrive will be enough for the server to be happy. Or do all drives need to be from HP?
All drives need to be HPE certified components, otherwise the fan will speed up, at least I encountered this situation in ML150 G9 and DL360 G9

Skud

Jan 3, 2012
I would think that the “optimal cooling” option would make the fans run faster. Do you have a “balanced” option? Also, 50C is fairly warm for a spinning disk. Do you have all your empty bays filled with blanks?

Only some drives make the fans spin to 100%. I’ve had HGST, Micron, Samsung SSDs, and a few others with no issues in a 380p G8 and G9. I think the only device I’ve ever had that caused the fans to ramp up was a 900p optane disk in the pcie slot.

The problem is because some drives don’t follow a certain standard for reporting their temperatures. On these drives the value is set to 255 or whatever the max value is. This makes the server think the drive is overheating so it spins the fans to 100%.

Riley

douze

Mar 19, 2021
Sweden
I would think that the “optimal cooling” option would make the fans run faster. Do you have a “balanced” option? Also, 50C is fairly warm for a spinning disk. Do you have all your empty bays filled with blanks?

Only some drives make the fans spin to 100%. I’ve had HGST, Micron, Samsung SSDs, and a few others with no issues in a 380p G8 and G9. I think the only device I’ve ever had that caused the fans to ramp up was a 900p optane disk in the pcie slot.

The problem is because some drives don’t follow a certain standard for reporting their temperatures. On these drives the value is set to 255 or whatever the max value is. This makes the server think the drive is overheating so it spins the fans to 100%.

Riley
"Optimal cooling" is the lowest setting. You can choose between "Optimal, increased or maximum".
iLO says 50c on the harddrives directly from start. So I dont think its a real measured value.

Well, everything works and my servers will soon have a dedicated space. So I guess that i can live with the noise.

AndrewC

Nov 23, 2022
Have you tried loading the HPE SPP drivers on the server?
I think at a min. you need the Ilo and System Management drivers installed and running on the OS.

I have 2 x HPE esxi servers with non-hpe hard drives, HBA controllers, and Nic's.
As the server is booting the fans will run at 100% but when the HPE drivers load the fan speeds drop to idle.
I used the bundled HPE esxi ISO from VMware so all the drivers are automatically installed.
But you can find HPE supports a number of Linux OS's which you can find on the HPE Support site