HP LSI 9212-4i & Samsung 850 PRO 256 GB TRIM Passthrough

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

B.Larson

Mar 9, 2017
Hi everyone

kindly I need help as I have been searching for long until I came across this forum
I recently got an HP LSI 9212-4i installed in xw8600 workstation with Samsung 850 Pro SSD 256 GB & have been trying to get TRIM to work with latest p20 bios & IT firmware but no luck so far, tried different driver versions old & new for windows 10 64 bit but still TRIM isn't working, is there anyway to do that, cross flashing, firmware or driver MODs ?!

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
How do you know that trim is not working or not?

I always thought that hba pass through raw devices to the os, so that the trim command should work.

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
with on board SATA TRIM works fine, with LSI HBA I get this message
Sorry, but after 12 hours of pulling cables in the datacenter, your picture is just making my headache worse. :(

Howerver, I might have an idea what it is. TRIM on SATA and SAS are very different, and a SAS controller translates regular I/O commands from SAS to SATA. The driver may not know to issue SATA TRIM commands in this case. Just an idea...

B.Larson

Mar 9, 2017
Sorry for that & thanks for your reply, yes that might be true, but on Avago website, it's mentioned that LSI HBA in IT mode support TRIM, but it's not clear on other requirements rather than IT mode
I read somewhere that in order for the HBA to passthrough TRIM command the drive must have a feature called
"Deterministic read after TRIM" if the drive doesn't have that feature the HBA will disable TRIM or won't passthrough the command
also Samsung 850 Pro 128 GB & 1TB with firmware version EXM02B6Q are on the compatibility list of LSI 9212-4i
Unfortunately I have upgraded to the newest firmware EXM03B6Q before I got the LSI 9212-4i and didn't have the chance to test it
Can I downgrade the firmware or does anyone know if 850 Pro 256 GB have the "Deterministic read after TRIM" feature ?!