HP H240 ... Different behavior on Supermicro Motherboards

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
I'm moving all storage servers from 2011-3 to SP3 & 3647 platforms. I had several HP H240 HBAs working in Supermicro X10SRi-L and X1-SRH-CF motherboards. I moved all the cards to the 'new' storage servers and they all decided to not be in love with any X11/H11/H12 motherboards. I always get the following error message while booting up the machines:

H240_Error.jpg

Ignoring the error just leads to a boot loop. Nothing else is going on then. I re-checked BIOS settings and failed to find any obvious configuration that shall fail. While the rom of the card is booting before any boot device is selected, I had to swap the cards out again into the old platform in order to check settings there.

Has somebody an idea why these cards behave like that on X11/H11/H12 Supermicro boards?

Sean Ho

seanho.com
Nov 19, 2019
Vancouver, BC
seanho.com
It could be any number of issues, but if it is indeed trying to boot from the HBA, you'd hang on that screen regardless of whether there are actually any bootable drives attached, or indeed any drives at all. If there's no option in the card's ROM, you might try motherboard BIOS settings to disable loading option rom from that pcie slot (though that doesn't always work). Or if you're booting in UEFI mode, disable CSM and set the option rom to load in BIOS mode (to prevent it from loading), or vice versa.

Moopere

Mar 19, 2023
Got to mention the obvious - apologies ....

Its complaining about no super-cap and a setting in NVRAM relating to this. Does the same error occur if the super-cap is installed?

If one isn't available have you tried turning off the option in the cards bios settings?