HP Elitedesk G5 705 G5 mini - why 2nd M.2 slot if you can't reinstall the drive cage

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Rick67

Jan 23, 2024
Purchased a renewed HP Elitedesk 705 G5 mini. Came with:

--16 Gb RAM
--256 Gb M.2 NVMe
--Windows 10 Pro
-- SSD drive cage with fan and SATA cable

Already had a 4 Tb M.2 NVMe. After thinking about how to set it up decided on:

--use a 500 Gb SSD as boot drive
--install the 4 TB M.2 for file storage

Installed Windows 10 Pro on the SSD plus most of my programs along with a few fonts and keyboards for other languages. Then tweaked the keyboard settings. I regularly work in other languages and need to switch back and forth quickly and easily. Everything was working great. Then I opened the case, took out the drive cage, removed the 256 Gb M.2 in slot 1. When doing so accidentally disconnected one of the antenna leads.

Which is why I decided to put the 4 Tb M.2 in slot 2. Tried to reinstall the drive cage and could not. Seemed like something was in the way. Took out the M.2 in slot 2. Tried putting the cage back and *poof* slide right into place. Did some searching and although it's hard to find there are a few people who report the same issue, including here = https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/hp-elitedesk-705-g5-mini-experiences.29003/

Wondering how and why HP produced a machine with two M.2 slots when one cannot use both of them. The Elitedesk 705 drive cage includes a system fan that must be connected or the system will not boot.

Last edited: