HP DL560 G8 versus Supermicro SuperServer 4047R-7JRFT?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
I'm just looking for any feedback:

I'm planning to build a new data warehouse database server, with an emphasis (of course) on sequential IO using piles of consumer SSD drives. My current machine (see Servers and Storage Archives - www.openida.com) is a quad AMD Opteron capable of nearly 17,000MB/s worth of query throughput. That's pretty darn serious performance, but now I'm looking to double it.

Unfortunately for my wallet, that means quad Xeon E5 CPUs. To go along with them, I need at least six PCIe3 x8 slots for host bus adapters - preferably more.

So far I have two servers in mind: The HP DL560 G8 and the Supermicro SuperServer 4047R-7JRFT

The HP DL560 G8:
Pro:
  • Quality that I trust
  • 48 DIMM slots
Con:
  • More expensive
  • All PCIe slots connect to CPUs 1 and 2 only - 3 and 4 don't handle IO at all

The Supermicro SuperServer 4047R-7JRFT
Pro:
  • 8 total PCIe
  • PCIe slots distributed across all CPUs
  • Less expensive
Con:
  • Only 24 DIMM slots - yuck
  • Not quite HP quality?
  • Would need to replace expander backplanes with JBOD backplanes
  • Used internal-port HBAs, which I have none of

The other obvious difference is that the Supermicro includes 48 disk slots while the HP external disk chassis. This is not a big consideration because I already own two Supermicro 24-bay SSD chassis that would work perfectly.

Any thoughts?

Last edited: