HP DL180G6 SAS HBA?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mattlach

Aug 1, 2014
Hey all,

I hope this forum is the appropriate place for this post. Strangely enough there doesn't seem to be a pre-built server forum on here.

A few years back I bought a HP DL180 G6. I wound up not using it because I needed 3rd party PCIe cards and it has this nasty tendency of throwing a hissy fit when you use non-HP cards that lack the sensors it is looking for, and crank up the 8x 18krpm fans to 100% and emit a deafening jumbojet like roar that can be heard in my bedrooms two stories up with all the doors closed.

So, it wasn't going to work at home.

Anyway, I've considered using it recently, shipping it off to a colocation site, but I need a non raid JBOD SAS HBA if I am to do so.

Does anyone know if there is an HP HBA I can buy that has the sensors the server is looking for, so it won't enter freakout fan mode?

To be clear, a hardware raid card won't work. It needs to be a card with an HNA mode like LSI cards have of flashed with IT firmware.

Much obliged,
Matt

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
H240 will also work but it’s SAS3 and new but never you your luck on ebay

Reactions: mattlach

mattlach

Aug 1, 2014
H240 will also work but it’s SAS3 and new but never you your luck on ebay
Appreciate this suggestion as well. Right now I am more cost conscious. This is not going in a near-line system, and will deal more with archival type loads, so I don't necessarily need screaming speeds.

I do have a question though. Do newer controllers manufactured after HP's servers (the server in question being a G6) generally satisfy the needs of the overreactive fan control?

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I actually can’t speak from g6 perspective but was ok in g7, so yes it recognised as HP and was fine.
Having said that g7 still gets firmware updates, g6 not...

ro345

Jul 31, 2017
I had a DL180 G6 (actually its listed in the For Sale subforum right now). Good server other than the not ILO, LO100. I actually had an IBM M1015 adapter installed in mine (IT firmware), and it was very quiet. I had 14 drives installed and the fans never raced. I believe that I needed the most recent bios, and that maybe there was a bios setting. I have a DL380 G8 currently that did require an HBA H220, the M1015 was not compatible with the fans.

mattlach

Aug 1, 2014
Try HP H220 that is a HBA based on LSI2308. You should be able get them for 40-50 range.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
I'm hvaing some trouble with this new H220 SAS HBA I bought, and would appreciate your thoughts over here.

Last edited: