HP Blade Centers...??

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

NoProblemAtoll

Oct 6, 2016
Any one else here have HP Blade Centers in their setup? I have to migrated off my old Dell Blade Center (that was perfectly fine and doing everything I needed) in order to have SLAT support that is now required by Hyper-V under Windows Server 2016. I just dropped in a 3rd Revision HP BL-C7000 and am trying to untangle the how to work my Mezzanine card setup. How do I leverage Fiber Channel and iSCSI in on enclosure with BL460c Blades older than G7's?

markarr

Oct 31, 2013
You will have to look up what mezzanine ports line up with which ports on the blades. iirc you should be able to do FC on the built in LOM and ethernet on the other port of the LOM. There is a specific mapping of mezzanine slot to port on blade.

NoProblemAtoll

Oct 6, 2016
That was where I was a bit baffled. Which mezzanine cards are Type 1 and which are Type 2 mezzanines? I am not finding that outlined in any of the documents.

As I understand it, iSCSI become natively support on HP BL460c G7's and later.
When using HP BL460c G1's, G5's, and G6's, it looks like iSCSI requires the QLogic QMH4062 Mezzanine.
And I believe in all instances, Fiber Channel requires an Emulex Mezzanine; LPe1105-HP for 4GB FC or LPe1205 for 8GB FC. (There is also a separate QLogic QMH2462 but I am an Emulex guy).

The blades I got had HP NC325m Quad Port Intel Mezzanines in Mezzanine MLot 1 (so definitely Type 1)
And then in MLot2 they either had QLogic QMH2462 iSCSI or Emulex LPe1105-HP FC Mezzanines installed.

What I am trying to sort out is if both the aforementioned iSCSI and Fiber Mezzanines are Type 2 Mezzanines that need to be installed in Mlot 2.

There is also a HP C7000 Fiber Pass Through Module, do those require a Fiber Mezzanines?

Additionally there is HP NC373m Dual Port Multifunction Gigabit Mezzanine that appears to support iSCSI as well but at lower NIC density. That could be another option.

Limited expansion is definitely a draw back to blades...

This enclosure is going to be connected to 4GB FC SAN and separate (4)x1GB iSCSI SAN (with a storage Expansion shelf). One will be for Hyper-V VM's and the other will be for file storage but they are very different technologies and I need to see the R/W performance before I decide assign functions. I would usually have laid out a more well baked plan had this not been rushed in order to meet the Windows Server 2016 Hyper-V requirements.