HP 5820-24XG-SFP+ - $225

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Is there any more information on this switch? How does it compare to quanta lb6m? Can't seem to find any reviews...

marv

Apr 2, 2015
JC102B? Its comware 5 switch, uses same firmware as 5800 switches. Do the sold ones include PSU? I dont see it mentioned on ebay page.

normally these work with HP branded/compatible SFPs or DACs, but if you manually specify speed/duplex and dont mind occasional spam in log, you can use any.

marv

Apr 2, 2015
thats good to hear about those transceivers. I had one H3C/HP dual-branded 5800 where link wouldnt come come up with cisco compatible DACs or cheap chinese SFP unless speed/duplex specified. Maybe they changed this behavior in newer firmwares.

Also they were promising comware 7 for these switches, even some preview releases were made public, but I know the issue was cmw7 needed that RAM upgrade you did to your switch. Not sure if they did official release, I see only v5 firmwares on download page.

warlockedyou

Sep 4, 2016
Good find! If I didn't already have the Quanta switches, I would have picked these up. Now I just need something smaller - like 5 SFP+ and 5 1Gbps ports. Apparently it's a super rare combination and I can't find any switches with those specifications :(

kapone

May 23, 2015
Good find! If I didn't already have the Quanta switches, I would have picked these up. Now I just need something smaller - like 5 SFP+ and 5 1Gbps ports. Apparently it's a super rare combination and I can't find any switches with those specifications :(
Shameless plug. I've a Brocade ICX 6610 in the FS section with 8x 10gbSFP+ and more than enough 1gbps.

Reactions: warlockedyou

warlockedyou

Sep 4, 2016
Shameless plug. I've a Brocade ICX 6610 in the FS section with 8x 10gbSFP+ and more than enough 1gbps.
Ahhh, that's a good combination. I am actually looking for something with small amount of ports on purpose. So having that many 1Gb ports is actually a deal breaker :(

kapone

May 23, 2015
Ahhh, that's a good combination. I am actually looking for something with small amount of ports on purpose. So having that many 1Gb ports is actually a deal breaker :(
Gotcha. Its a hell of switch, with a very good combination of ports, but sadly, I've outgrown it. I'm on the other end of the spectrum. I need ~16 SFP+ ports, and not that many 1gb ports. Most of my stuff is either 10g now, or wireless.

nev_neo

Jul 31, 2013
Does anyone know if this switch supports RDMA/ROCE ?
just found out that the ubnt switches do not.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
According to mellanox you need a switch with Priority Flow Control (pfc) and other features for RoCE.
On the other side RoCE works with two hosts directly connected -> pfc is not a hard requirement (my interpretation).

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Still needs ECN and the newer Connectx-4 adapters.
Too bad us-xg-16 is too dumb to have any of those capabilities.

can this switch do that though ?
ECN is part of the IP protocol and has been around for over a decade. Doesn't need "switch support"...

RoCE requires a NIC that supports that capability, no matter what. The point is that I don't think you need to worry about the switch...

kabttu

Dec 11, 2017
I bought one @ $200 and just received it. They sent it with no psu. I went back and reread the brief description and can't find anywhere that said it wouldn't have a psu.

I have reached out to the seller to get it resolved. I'll update with their response. It did come with everything else (rack ears, console cable, ground cable). It also looks brand new, no scratches or anything on it at all.

kabttu

Dec 11, 2017
This is unfortunate news. Although it's quite possible it means it is in fact new old stock. HP has a weird fetish about selling switches without their PSUs, for reasons my n00b mind can't comprehend.
Yeah, it doesn't make any sense, especially since they have these listed as seller refurbished. After the brief exchange I have had so far, I'm wondering if the seller deliberately left out that fact. How much effort would it have taken to include a sentence that said these do not include psu??