HP 3.2TB Solid State Drive 12G SAS Mixed Use-3 SFF 2.5-in

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
Listed as 'new other'
One day and 13 hrs to go. Current bid $450 (28 bids)
I wonder if it could be vendor locked?

Good luck and happy bidding :)

Reactions: Patrick

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
HPE headquarters... Mix of vendor samples or straight hp drives tested on hp raid controllers.
Factory or drive test team... most likely drive test team...sadly.
Gotcha.

Question, since I don't know about this stuff...

What is HP supposed to do if they have extra drives? What if he's a recycle or employee given the 'ok' ?

The drives aren't exactly 'new models' (at-least the ones I checked out). I know ~16 years ago when interned for some tech companies around Sacramento when updates would roll-through the office employees got first pick before junk went to the recycle companies... now that was coming from management/VP of department so it could have been "not right". However, we're talking about TONS of used stuff, and a mix of NOS which appear to be similar to this ebay sellers listings. Could HP management in that department be "OK" with it and as far as employee is aware it's "OK" -- even though it may be considered stealing by someone much higher up? Or is it a well known thing in the industry at these companies that it's NOT ok to get company property even if they're throwing it out?

I'm not sure how that stuff works anymore as the upgrade cycle nowadays seems to be fast enough to have decent gear like this (3-6 years it seems) ??

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
Possible however unlikely... Older compaq was more loose... but more along the take it home not sell it part.

Diavuno

Gotcha.

Question, since I don't know about this stuff...

What is HP supposed to do if they have extra drives? What if he's a recycle or employee given the 'ok' ?

The drives aren't exactly 'new models' (at-least the ones I checked out). I know ~16 years ago when interned for some tech companies around Sacramento when updates would roll-through the office employees got first pick before junk went to the recycle companies... now that was coming from management/VP of department so it could have been "not right". However, we're talking about TONS of used stuff, and a mix of NOS which appear to be similar to this ebay sellers listings. Could HP management in that department be "OK" with it and as far as employee is aware it's "OK" -- even though it may be considered stealing by someone much higher up? Or is it a well known thing in the industry at these companies that it's NOT ok to get company property even if they're throwing it out?

I'm not sure how that stuff works anymore as the upgrade cycle nowadays seems to be fast enough to have decent gear like this (3-6 years it seems) ??
That's how I got my first new servers... Company I worked for was tossing the demo servers because it was scratched and dented.

We didn't get a cart rolled through the office, but employees could check out the recyclers pickup box.

RyC

Oct 17, 2013
When PPS moved out of their Sunnyvale offices (formerly Palm) in 2014 for the HP headquarters in Palo Alto (they announced the split into 2 companies a month or 2 later - go figure), they were tossing so many old Palm devices and other misc hardware (computers, monitors, docking stations, you name it). It was pretty much grab what you wanted, I grabbed a couple of TouchPads and some random Palm phones :D