How to tell broken Epyc vs Locked Epyc?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Faust

May 17, 2023
Hey i'm buying a sketchy cpu on the cheap. wondering how to tell a broken one from a locked one. Is there a debug code that a locked cpu will always stop on?

Thanks

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
the POST code is written by BIOS x86 code which is executed by the CPU itself, a broken(dead) CPU will not give any codes....

Faust

May 17, 2023
the POST code is written by BIOS x86 code which is executed by the CPU itself, a broken(dead) CPU will not give any codes....
doesn't that depend on how it's broken? like if something was wrong with the memory controller on the cpu package it would in theory stop at a code that indicates it couldn't access memory

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
ike if something was wrong with the memory controller on the cpu package it would in theory stop at a code that indicates it couldn't access memory
i do not know how the BIOS code comes into the processor, at intel the PCH does this job.
but i know the POST code is written to Port80, this is a memory address.
if the memory controller is broken....

Faust

May 17, 2023
i do not know how the BIOS code comes into the processor, at intel the PCH does this job.
but i know the POST code is written to Port80, this is a memory address.
if the memory controller is broken....
for instance if one of the pads or pins on the memory bus is broken or not making good contact, maybe even just plain dirty you could get code 55 for memory even though it might not be on the memory side it could be on the cpu.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
to stop this (maybe)
can be a locked and (partialy) broken EPYC: you don't see the typical codes for a locked CPU.