How to reinstall white plastic holders for m.2 drive in H12SSL board for 22110 format?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dnb

Nov 19, 2022
Hi all! The H12SSL board was installed in the case. There is no access to the board from the back side. There are such white plastic holders (look at the attached photo). Initially, I set these holders in the hope of using a samsung 980 pro, so the holders were set to a length of 2280. However, now I'm thinking if I should put a Samsung pm9a. But they have the 22110 format, which means you need to somehow reinstall these plastic holders.

These are the same white holders as in the AOC-SLG3-2M2 board. Even from AOC-SLG3-2M2 board, you can pull them out with your nails by squeezing them from the back, and from the front you need to pull them towards you. As for these holders on H12SSL, I am literally afraid to remove this board and carry out this manipulation, because there is a huge risk of damaging the board during this operation. This is such a dangerous operation for the board that I would rather use pm9a3 through the AOC-SLG3-2M2 board, although it only uses a PCI-3 interface.

Does anyone know how to remove them without having to completely uninstall the motherboard?

Or am I not understanding something, and is there some special technique for removing these white holders? Special tool?

P.S.: if you, like me, suffer from this circumstance, let's cry together on each other's vest, and then maybe Supermicro will pay attention to our suffering.

Attachments

Last edited:

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
if you remove the Plug (can not be completely detached)
you can remove the white holder from the top, bent him to the side.

Last edited:
Reactions: dnb

bitbckt

will google compiler errors for scotch
Feb 22, 2022
They pull straight out and push straight back in; there's no need for access to the backside of the motherboard to move them. Sometimes they need a little persuasion with a very small flathead screwdriver.

ano

Nov 7, 2022
I use pliers, carefully, ish

done so many I dont think about it, kinda just yank (after opening it)

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
@ano my bare fingers are enough. no change to damage anything. sure, you have to pull out the middle bolt out which prevents the holder falling off.

dnb

Nov 19, 2022
Thank you guys) Last time I tried this, I did it on a completely removed motherboard) This board was completely freed from the heatsink and RAM) I used my nails to hold the clips on the back of the board. Now I just gently tried to pull the holder from the outside on the installed board, but with absolutely no chance)

By the way, I noticed such a feature that any disks installed in m.2 connectors in h12ssl get quite hot. They cool better if installed in AOC-SLG3-2M2). In the case of the h12ssl-c or h12ssl-ct board, we also have a very hot SAS heatsink in this place (it is completely absent on h12ssl-i). This heatsink is located extremely close to the m.2 connector (look at the attached photo). Together with this very hot heatsink and m.2 pci-4 drives, we have a really significant hotspot in this corner of the board! Probably, the manufacturer assumed that a fan > 100 cfm would blow directly into this place. The presence of this hotspot prompted me to use the AOC-SLG3-2M2 despite the fact that the AOC-SLG3-2M2 only has a PCI-3.0 interface, not a PCI-4.0 one. And this situation is complemented by problems with the reinstallation of holders. I tried lightly to pull out one of those white holders, but I was not successful, to say the least. In my case, it seems to be made of steel (yes, I pulled its flexible part out of the hole). I wouldn't advise anyone to do this.

Attachments

Last edited:

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Now I just gently tried to pull the holder from the outside on the installed board, but with absolutely no chance)
you have to pull out the middle pin, then tilt/bent the holder and pull. its easy here.
m2holder.jpg

Last edited:

dnb

Nov 19, 2022
@dnb be very careful - i bent some lanes on the mobo when tried to remove it..
It would be very useful to know more about this case. Could you tell us exactly how it happened:

1) Do you mean the lanes that are in close proximity to the holes where the white plastic holders are inserted? If so, which of the four holes are we talking about?

2) How was the damage done? With bare hands or maybe with a screwdriver or tweezers?

3) Was the damage caused by simply rotating the white plastic holders in the hole around their axis? This is important because the tracks are directly under the plastic holders. Especially in the case of the upper right.

dnb

Nov 19, 2022
@dnb bent lanes ? i doubt that post was serious meaning.
Initially, reading uldise post, I simply decided that it was a gross installation error. However, while mounting these white holders, I understood what uldise was talking about: for example, the bottom right holder, when turned clockwise, can easily ruin the IPMI password sticker. The upper right directly touches the lane on the board. The rest, during rotation, can touch the lanes. In this situation, my sense of humor left me (

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
comeon, why turn the plastic holder around while pressing down to the PCB ? i just put it with two fingers(pin located to me), move it (to me and up) and its out.

uldise

Jul 2, 2020
2) How was the damage done? With bare hands or maybe with a screwdriver or tweezers?
shit happens is all i can say. when i could not remove it by fingers, i tried with screwdriver(still no go). And i never noticed any scratches myself, until i returned this board to Supermicro for warranty(BMC died) - they sent me a photo, and then i remembered about this case. and of course, warranty was rejected because of this physical damage.
so, don't try repeat my stupid mistakes..

dnb

Nov 19, 2022
comeon, why turn the plastic holder around while pressing down to the PCB ? i just put it with two fingers(pin located to me), move it (to me and up) and its out.
I tried it according to your method on test subject AOC-SLG3-2M2, everything worked out ) I just had to move the holder towards myself first ) True, before that I had already reinstalled the board, having made the fundamental decision to always use m.2 size 22110 )

• Love
Reactions: RolloZ170