How to reformat HDD & SSD to 512B Sector Size

UhClem

Jun 26, 2012
NH, USA
Because half the time it works... smart ass
Show us one situation where a NOT working sg_format command-line was made to WORK, merely by adding the --six option.
=====
"Better a smart-ass than a dumb-ass." :)

bandit8623

May 25, 2021
I tried with —six not working also
do you have access to hdsentinel? hdsentinel supports surface testing. see if it can even read write to the disk. windows by default can not use the 520 byte sector. to use the surface test feature you do need a paid copy of hdsentinel

this will verify if the disk is just dead or not. im leaning towards a bad disk

Attachments

Last edited:

bandit8623

May 25, 2021
Show us one situation where a NOT working sg_format command-line was made to WORK, merely by adding the --six option.
=====
"Better a smart-ass than a dumb-ass." :)
i have had drives in the past that fail to format without the --six command. just because you havent seen it personally doesnt mean its not true.

yemencit

Jun 17, 2022
do you have access to hdsentinel? hdsentinel supports surface testing. see if it can even read write to the disk. windows by default can not use the 520 byte sector. to use the surface terst feature you do need a paid copy of hdsentinel

this will verify if the disk is just dead or not. im leaning towards a bad disk
I think this hard disk locked from ibm can you help me to unlock to can accept reformat scotor size from 528 to 512

bandit8623

May 25, 2021
Please see attached file
does hdsentinel actually show this drive 520 bps?

sorry if this is redundant, but have you tried seatools to psid unlock? this drive is actually a seagate drive. https://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/support/docs/TP644_1_1211US_How_to_ISE_Your_Drive-FINAL.pdf

your psid code is on the drive. if seatools doesnt work have you tried parted magic pdsid unlock?

i have psid unlocked hpe drives before with either method. before unlocked i could not format or do anything with them.

yemencit

Jun 17, 2022
does hdsentinel actually show this drive 520 bps?

sorry if this is redundant, but have you tried seatools to psid unlock? this drive is actually a seagate drive. https://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/support/docs/TP644_1_1211US_How_to_ISE_Your_Drive-FINAL.pdf

your psid code is on the drive. if seatools doesnt work have you tried parted magic pdsid unlock?

i have psid unlocked hpe drives before with either method. before unlocked i could not format or do anything with them.
But the sector size is 528

Attachments