how to power second CPU

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Apr 2, 2015
Hello,

I recently purchased a 3U chassis made by AIC ( RSC-3EH Specification )

I was prebuilt using a tyan single CPU motherboard, and i want to use an S2600CP2 motherboard instead, with 2x E5 xeons.

The problem is that the previous owner actually cut all "unnecessary" cables from the PSU, it left only the ATX connector, one 8pin EPS cpu power cable, and the 6 molex connectors connecting to the backplane.

So i need a way to power the second CPU. What kind of adapter cable would you recommend? An EPS 8->2x8 y-splitter? Or maybe a 2xmolex->8pin EPS instead?

The PSU is [2U Redundant] R2G-5600V4V Products - Power - Zippy Group

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Either would work but not advised by most as a splitter introduces new point of failure and worse a spot for fires / melting to occur from a bad connection.

I split power in a couple cases for HDD, SSD, Fans and in another for 4-pin... when I needed to split the EPS 8P I replaced PSU with one that had two so it could properly handle the load. I'm not saying a molex adapter won't properly handle the load just be sure to know it can :)

Marsh

May 12, 2013
If only the wires had been cut, then find a new 8pin EPS connectors , but SOLDER the wires to connector.
What I would do is:
look for a old dead PS, then cut the EPS connector with wire pigtail , solder to the existing PS wires.

fractal

Jun 7, 2016
Did they leave enough wire sticking out of the power supply for you to splice into? if so, I would buy an 8 pin EPS12v extender. They are cheap. I would plug one end into the motherboard then cut the other plug off and splice it.

Why would I plug it into the motherboard first? Because no matter how many times I looked at it, I would cut the wrong end off if I didn't :(

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Do not buy the EPS connector from Ebay that came from China. It would melt the wires when you stress test the system.
Ask me how I found out.
Get a quality EPS extender.

Reactions: realtomatoes
Apr 2, 2015
not enough wire to try to solder a cable, maybe if i take the psu apart it could be done. for now i went with a 2molex to eps short cable, it works, but i didnt stress the cpus, so no idea if there's a chance of melting :)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk