How to install Debian Server on mirrored zfs pool?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

bitsandbytes

Nov 13, 2020
Hi

I'm building a home server and I want to install debian server on a mirrored zfs pool of 2 Sandisk Plus 240GB SSD's as described in this very detailed guide on the OpenZFS webside. Needles to say that the server will be running headless as much as possible.

In the system requirements section of guide they very specifically say to use a debian install disk WITH a GUI though it doesn't seem to me that they ever use that GUI for everything and nowhere in the guide do they state what version of debian buster, i.e server or desktop, will actually be installed in the end.

Can any of you help me decipher the installation guide to see which version (server or desktop) will actually be installed following this guide, and in case it's in fact debian desktop, what do I need to adjust to install debian server?

I guess that some of the main points of interest in this rather long guide is the three steps listed below, but I might be wrong:
  1. Step 3.4 - Install the minimal system
  2. Step 8.1 - Upgrade the minimal system
  3. Step 9.1 - Wait for the system to boot normally. Login using the account you created <-- Does this indicate GUI??
Your advice is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Tinkerer

Sep 5, 2020
A bit late perhaps, maybe too late but its actually quite easy to figure out what will be installed.

At step 3 you will use debootstrap (3.4) to install buster to /mnt. You will need to look into that command, which parameters it supports and how to install whatever version of debian you wish to install. The description gives the answer to what will be installed:

4. Install the minimal system
If debootstrap doesn't support installing what you wish, you can use the alternative given in the last sentence:

The debootstrap command leaves the new system in an unconfigured state. An alternative to using debootstrap is to copy the entirety of a working system into the new ZFS root.
Theoretically, this could be any Linux distribution (even non-debian ones), as long as you know which alternative commands to use in place of the debian specific commands.

At step 4.3 you'll configure the sources list and chroot to it. You'll run apt update and some apt install commands. This sources list needs to match whatever you install during debootstrap. So if you change debootstrap in step 3.4 to debian server, change the sources list accordingly.

The reason for the boot with gui isn't explained in the guide but I am guessing its to provide all the commands and dependencies required during the guide. It's definitely got nothing to do with what is being installed, that's for sure.

Whether the login at step 9.1 is textual or graphical depends on step 8.2 where you run tasksel. If you choose a full blown desktop environment then yes, you'll get a graphical login.

I really do not mean to be some smart ass, but the guide is very elaborate for a reason. Reading carefully and making sure you understand each step is important. All your questions are answered in the guide.

I would suggest you practise in a virtual environment if you haven't already. Or maybe you took another road installing your home server?