How to get firmware from Oracle

Discussion in 'Hard Drives and Solid State Drives' started by zeynel, Jan 24, 2018.

1. zeynel

zeynel Active Member

Hi There,

i need to get newer Firmware for a F320 NVMe drive from oracle.

FW: KPYAB3RQ for a MS1PC5ED3ORA3.2T (SAMSUNG 1725)

But i can't get access to it.

any suggestion or advice ?

Thanks in forward.

2. Evan

Evan Well-Known Member

Even if you get the firmware the application utilities may need to run on a sun/oracle box ...

I have some sun boxes under contract but no idea if I can download just any firmware ?

3. zeynel

zeynel Active Member

4. manubit

manubit New Member

I believe you will need access to Oracle Support to get that firmware.

Per their Doc ID 2203931.1, the firmware for the F320 card is available in the X5-4 Firmware Pack. The version you are looking for is in version 1.2.0 of the firmware pack from Oct 2016 (Patch 24841470). I'm assuming you made a typo - its KPYABR3Q.

5. zeynel

zeynel Active Member

6. zeynel

zeynel Active Member

that's the drive

Attached Files:

7. manubit

manubit New Member

Sorry, I misunderstood. KPYAIR3Q is in version 2.0.0 of the firmware pack from Oct 2017 (patch 26948450 in Oracle parlance).

8. Evan

Evan Well-Known Member

Thanks for the hints to find the patch but appears that I am not entitled to download.

9. mmk

mmk Member

I don't think the fwupdate&co in Solaris work on non-Sun/Oracle servers. I'm running Solaris on various hardware and it certainly doesn't work on my Dells or Supermicros..

Zeynel: sending PM.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  10. Jannis Jacobsen

Jannis Jacobsen Active Member

Oracle is very pay to play.
    you get nothing for free

-J

11. wormcoffee

wormcoffee New Member

Can anyone who have oracle support account help to download this patch?
    Patch id 26758830.

12. dbTH

dbTH Member

Did you have any luck in getting the newer Oracle F320 NVMe firmware: KPYAIR3Q?

I recently also acquired an Oracle F320 NVME (MS1PC2DD3ORA3.2T) with default firmware KPYABR3Q and looking to upgrade to KPYAIR3Q. Anyone could help? Thanks in advance.

13. wickedgtr

wickedgtr New Member

If anyone has found the firmware files, please message me, I recently acquired one, and would really like to be able to upgrade it to resolve the many bugs. I am trying other options to get the firmware as well, but I don't know what option will work. Thanks!

14. rippiedoos

rippiedoos New Member

The problem is that no one is openly sharing those firmware files or patches as you have to pay for them. And if Oracle finds out they charge you a hefty premium if you aren't entitled to that software part. So whoever has access to those files (myself included) isn't openly sharing because of the penalties. Providing patch-number and info on patches is one thing but actually providing that firmware is against the rules and you might get hit by the army of lawyers from Larry or lose your account which you might need for your day job.

I think you might have more luck cross-flashing it to the original firmware from Samsung for the PM1725.

15. wickedgtr

wickedgtr New Member

I completely understand not sharing them openly. I just need newer firmware so the drive doesn't fail. If you or another individual knows of a method to cross-flash or anything else to 'safely' use this SSD, that would be awesome. If public means are not preferred (understandably) please PM me. I am personally going to keep trying to find another way to flash it, but even finding a non-branded firmware has been a challenge. I have several Dell servers that have a similar model, so first I will be trying that firmware, but the actual package is labeled as 'tar' but doesn't appear to follow that format.

16. Evan

Evan Well-Known Member

Cross flashing of Samsung drives has been discussed here at lot, I even said I would give some smelly drives to the cause to try if we found even the Samsung firmware but essentially seems like s no go.
    I tend to only buy ssd’s from brand names that I have access to equipment that I found use to flash the latest firmware on or is known how to flash if needed, or firmware level is known good before purchasing.

17. Oflyttbar

Oflyttbar Member

There's been many threads on the Sun F20 cards were the firmware was posted, is the F20 so old that Larry don't care or were they taking the same risk?

18. rippiedoos

rippiedoos New Member

There are 2 things about the F20. The thing is so old, the extended warranty has probably expired on them, I don’t think the firmware from oracle is still available.
    The other thing is that it’s LSI-based which is known to be crossflash-friendly. Look at all the sas-controllers as example. But I doubt they posted the original oracle firmware but used the stock LSI1068e firmware.

19. wickedgtr

wickedgtr New Member

Well, I have a few different OEM versions of the firmware for this model, but still no progress in flashing it. I am wondering how risky it really is to run it on the original firmware. I would be backing up the system the drive is intended for every night, so I am not really worried about data loss, more worried about the SSD bricking and being out $$ for something that is 'technically' preventable.

If anyone has an OEM version, or knows where to get from say an HPE/Dell/Cisco/Supermicro pack of the Samsung DC Toolbox that is new enough to support the PM1725 series of drives - that could be helpful.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  20. Oflyttbar

Oflyttbar Member

are you using nvme-cli in linux? If not then how are you attempting to upgrade the firmware?