How to fix: Java Application Blocked (e.g. when using iKVM)

Discussion in 'STH Main Site Posts' started by Patrick Kennedy, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Terry Kennedy

Terry Kennedy Well-Known Member

You can preload the list of allowed sites. The file exception.sites located in the directory \Users\username\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\security (on Windows 7 and similar) is a plain text file, with one line per allowed site, with either the http:// or https:// prefix.

Patrick likes this.
  2. rockitlikeithott

The real fix here would be for these vendors to stop using java... Kind of insane that something that can be so critical is run on such an insecure platform with a history of constant exploitation.

coolrunnings82 likes this.
  3. cesmith9999

cesmith9999 Well-Known Member

I have been hoping for that real fix for 14+ years... I had a laptop that had to have 12 different version of java to work all of our SAN/networking equipment.

this version for Brocade
    this version for Xio
    this version for the HSG80

only now with HTML5 is this becoming a reality.

I have 3 arrays that do not need java to be managed.

Chris

4. TuxDude

TuxDude Well-Known Member

I have no love for Java, but it does have its uses and isn't going to be going away any time soon. Web apps using client-side java do need to die though. Run whatever you like server side and present it in a standard HTML5 UI that works properly regardless of whether I'm doing the work from my office desktop, or cell-phone while standing in the datacenter.

I also find it very ironic that you could replace 'java' in that quote with 'windows' and it just makes the quote even more true.

5. rockitlikeithott

While this may be true. Windows isn't what it once was. Security is light years ahead of what it used to be. The Windows issue is that it has to support so much legacy crap. That being said things like EMET and app locker go a long way to mitigate a large portion of threats. There's a reason why a code execution vulnerability with a POC exploit that bypasses all of the exploit mitigations is so valuable as a bug bounty. It wouldn't pay out 6 or even 7 figures if it was easy to do. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to defend Windows. There's still loads that can be done. Just saying its way better than it used to be. The same can't be said for things like Java or flash.

6. rockitlikeithott

And I'm ranting now but I will say this... Maybe it's not the software that's the issue. Maybe we need to start training our developers from the beginning to code with security in mind instead of as an afterthought...

7. cesmith9999

cesmith9999 Well-Known Member

Welcome to 2002 and Trustworthy computing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The real issue is that projects have budgets and scope issues and knowledge limitations. and a need to ship to create the cash flow to ship the next version out the door ...

Chris