1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to create a bootable Solaris 11 USB?

Discussion in 'Solaris, Nexenta, OpenIndiana, and napp-it' started by knubbze, Jun 14, 2013.

1. knubbze

knubbze Member

Because I need the ZFS encryption feature of ZFS v31, I need to use Solaris 11 (+ napp-it) as the OS on my HP N40L Microserver. Because all of the hard drive slots are populated by disks, I need to run Solaris from a fast bootable USB flash drive. What is the best way to do this? Do I just make a new install of Solaris and use this USB flash drive as the destination drive? Or can I use Oracle's Live USB image file?

2. ci4ic4

ci4ic4 New Member

You have to use 'usbcopy', part of distribution-constructor package. However, you will have to run it on an existing Solaris11 system (if you use 'usbcopy' on, say, OpenIndiana, it will copy the image, but not be able to write the boot blocks).

3. knubbze

knubbze Member

What I mean is that I want to install Solaris 11 TO a USB drive, so that the full installation runs from this drive (not a bootable USB 'live' version).

4. ci4ic4

ci4ic4 New Member

Of course you can install it on an external USB drive, using the live .iso file *or* the bootable live USB version, to which the previous comment applied.

5. metiche

metiche New Member

Making usb bootable for Solaris from Windows.
    Lets go. stop waisting time.

format usb FAT (not FAT32 OR NTFS)
    Go Oracle Solaris 11.2 Downloads - Installation from CD/DVD or USB and download x86 usb live media
    Go to Tools for OSForensics - ImageUSB - Write an image to multiple USB Flash Drives an download imageusb
    Install imageusb software
    When open
    Step 1 choose the usb unit you want make bootable
    Step 2 SELECT THE ACTION TO BE PERFOMED. Choose option WRITE TO USB DRIVE
    Step 3 SELECT THE IMAGE. when browse to find file image choose the extension option ALL FILES to find your file with extension *.usb
    Step 4 click WRITE and wait until the process finish.
    Thats it.
    reboot the computer and if everything went ok you are done.