how to change names on server 2003

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gwb21471

Nov 29, 2021
How do i change the sign in name on windows 2003? Right now it is administrator and then the password i made. I want to change it to my name or something. Thank you for the help.

acquacow

Feb 15, 2017
Open the users and groups control panel and add an admin user with your preferred name?

Reactions: T_Minus

ghost792

Jun 19, 2023
How do i change the sign in name on windows 2003? Right now it is administrator and then the password i made. I want to change it to my name or something. Thank you for the help.
Changing the built-in administrator account user name can have adverse consequences in Windows Server. It's best to make a new user account and keep the built-in account for administrative tasks.

That said, Windows Server 2003 hasn't gotten any security updates in at least a decade and is incredibly dangerous to use online. I imagine that most modern software won't work with it either.

MrGuvernment

Nov 16, 2020
Changing the built-in administrator account user name can have adverse consequences in Windows Server. It's best to make a new user account and keep the built-in account for administrative tasks.

That said, Windows Server 2003 hasn't gotten any security updates in at least a decade and is incredibly dangerous to use online. I imagine that most modern software won't work with it either.
It is actually best practice from a security standpoint to rename the "Administrator" account (often to "guest" and then disable it). it has no implications or adverse consequences these days from a clean install and most things related to AD all use the SSID anyways.

If anything is set to run under the local "administrator" built in account, then again, someone is following poor habits.

julienester

Sep 28, 2023
To change the sign-in name (username) for the Administrator account on Windows Server 2003:
  1. Log in to the server using the Administrator account.
  2. Go to "Control Panel" > "Administrative Tools" > "Computer Management."
  3. In the left panel, expand "System Tools" > "Local Users and Groups," and click on "Users."
  4. Right-click on the "Administrator" account, select "Rename," and enter the new name.
  5. Confirm the changes and reboot the server for them to take effect.
Remember that it's typically more secure to create a new user account with administrative privileges rather than changing the built-in Administrator account's name.

Reactions: MrGuvernment

MrGuvernment

Nov 16, 2020
Agree to that ^ - changing the name of an account does not change it's SSID, which is what attackers would use anyways and the Admin always has the same default one across all systems.

Create a new Admin account, and disable the built in one.

ghost792

Jun 19, 2023
It is actually best practice from a security standpoint to rename the "Administrator" account (often to "guest" and then disable it). it has no implications or adverse consequences these days from a clean install and most things related to AD all use the SSID anyways.
Microsoft's best practices no longer recommend disabling the built-in administrator account on domain controllers because that is the only account that can log in without a global catalog server. In a disaster recovery situation, you could find yourself unable to log in.

This guide used to recommend disabling the account. This was removed as the forest recovery white paper makes use of the default administrator account. The reason is, this is the only account that allows logon without a Global Catalog Server.