How to Best Avoid SSDs Used for Chia Mining?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

herby

Aug 18, 2013
I need to replace a old dying 480 GB Intel S3500 drive in my ZFS array.
I'm okay with my current performance and disk space. I'm not in a rush to upgrade.

In the olden days before 2021 and Chia's arrival on the scene, I'd just pick up a couple more used S3500's for $50-75 a pop on eBay, but now I'm afraid I'll get dogs.

Any strategy to avoid worn out drives, if I get more S3500's?

Any alternative SATA SSD cheapies with similar characteristics (sustained write performance, endurance, etc) I could trust?

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Most large eBay stores are going to be selling off-lease hardware and are generally safe bets. Can always request SMART data.

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
"Do you have Gigabytes-written and Power-On-Hours for the device on sale from SMART data?"

If the answer is high values compared to spec for device lifetime, or there is no answer, you go somewhere else... ;-)

For SATA Seagate Nytro 1351 or 1551 might be worth a look. Or a Kingston DC500M, Phison controller is preferred by some over Nytro's SandForce. Even more expensive but even more solid imho would be a Micron 5300 MAX.

bryan_v

Nov 5, 2021
Toronto, Ontario
www.linkedin.com
Yea SMART data is your best friend in these transactions.

The indicator I use is the Bytes Written / Power on Hours. If you're over you 1 DWPD you're probably looking at a well used drive, Chia or not.

Then again as a general rule I don't buy SSDs with <95% health, unless they're <$80/TB, and definitely nothing below 80%.

bryan_v

Nov 5, 2021
Toronto, Ontario
www.linkedin.com
Ok I found an example of hardcore Chia Mining in this listing:

The Total Drive Writes is 1,496,768 GB for just 2243 power on hours (93.46 days).

That gives you 16,015 GB/day or 8.33 Drive Writes Per Day (DWPD) which is insane as this drive is rated at just 1 DWPD.

Reactions: lowfat

herby

Aug 18, 2013
Most large eBay stores are going to be selling off-lease hardware and are generally safe bets. Can always request SMART data.
I suppose that's true, someone selling a ton of enterprise gear is unlikely to have meme coin miners in their supply chains. They are also probably not going through the trouble of spoofing the S.M.A.R.T. data on hundreds or thousands of disks. They probably are trying to move a bunch of stock bought at auction as quick as possible.

I'll feel a little bad discriminating against small-time sellers; but the best defense is probably buying from people who's financial incentives would prevent them from dealing with drives like that.

Thanks all!

bilbo1337

Sep 18, 2020
Florida
For one I don't think many would have used a SATA drive to plot. You should be good just avoid sellers with just one piece as those are probably chia