How old of CPU is too old for firewalls and VM hosts security wise?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Mithril

Sep 13, 2019
Want to get thoughts on where the cutoff for Meltdown, Spectre are assuming up to date microcode and OS patches when deploying something as a firewall, or a VM host with guests possibly running hostile code. I'm more thinking about security than performance, I'd rather nail down what is secure "enough", and then go from there. I've done a bunch of reading but it's hard to get a feel for "things good enough for a SOHO" as I imagine if I were ever under targeted attack, I'd have an issue no matter what. But what I don't want to do is run something *so* vulnerable that I'm easily hit by less targeting things. I know people regularly hit the subnet of my ISP looking for easy vulnerabilities due to my firewall logs.

And perhaps a more important question and harder to nail down: Where is the cutoff if you have to assume you WONT get any bios/microcode update and must rely on hardware mitigation and/or OS patches.

ReturnedSword

Jun 15, 2018
Santa Monica, CA
CFL-R is generally the baseline. It will have most of the mitigations baked into the CPU itself, but not all.

As a general matter, I rarely, if ever, have seen vendors support hardware beyond a few generations. My Jetway mobo used for my pfSense has not been updated since 2014, I believe. I am relying on the software mitigations implemented in BSD but it doesn’t affect my performance enough to cause any throughput issues at the moment.

The main issue really, is finding a suitable motherboard or platform for a homelab/SOHO router. I’m looking into upgrading my internet to 2 or 5 Gbps, and it’s tough deciding what hardware to run on that will provide reasonable power usage.

Mithril

Sep 13, 2019
CFL-R is generally the baseline. It will have most of the mitigations baked into the CPU itself, but not all.

As a general matter, I rarely, if ever, have seen vendors support hardware beyond a few generations. My Jetway mobo used for my pfSense has not been updated since 2014, I believe. I am relying on the software mitigations implemented in BSD but it doesn’t affect my performance enough to cause any throughput issues at the moment.

The main issue really, is finding a suitable motherboard or platform for a homelab/SOHO router. I’m looking into upgrading my internet to 2 or 5 Gbps, and it’s tough deciding what hardware to run on that will provide reasonable power usage.

Yeah on the Intel side that seems accurate, but boy do I see a bunch of "this is perfect for pfsense/a firewall!" posts for much older CPUs. And idea for AMD, or just aim for the same year of release?

For homelab use, how good are pure software mitigations?

ReturnedSword

Jun 15, 2018
Santa Monica, CA
My Jetway mobo has an embedded N2930 which is pretty pokey slow by today’s standards. It doesn’t even have AES-NI and certainly none of the hardware or microcode mitigations. All mitigations are in software (BSD). It handles a 400 Mbps internet link, 4 separate networks, and a few VLANs just fine at 1 Gbps line speed. I have a bunch of stuff running on top, notably PfBlockerNG/DNSBL, Suricata, both which are “heavier” services and CPU utilization is quite low in the 30%s. It has 8GB DDR3 and memory utilization rarely goes above 40% as well.

AMD didn’t have as many CPU deficiencies as Intel, so mostly you should be fine there. The main issue with AMD is the lack of suitable motherboards for router/firewall usage, unless you go mITX (or perhaps a HP T740 Plus).

I’d like to mostly upgrade to get AES-NI for faster VPN purposes, and to handle a faster internet speed, but for the the most part it is more than sufficient. I am considering a T740 Plus with a x710-T4L for the future router, though that NIC is quite pricey, and I’m worried about heat issues as most corporate mini PCs only have a single fan.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I think the answer depends a lot on what your doing, if running a vpn of some type you want a cpu that supports the encryption in a hardware accelerated way.

I am a long way from understanding the finer details of security but it the specter and meltdown buys are concerning you I think it depends what is running on your system, if it’s a shared host or a desktop with programs being execute the risk is shall we say real. How much risk for a dedicated appliance I don’t know because first you essentially need to get access to or run something on the host and that’s not as easy to manage.