How Good (Or Not Good) Are Consumer Level External SSDs

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Kneelbeforezod

Sep 4, 2015
I have a 4TB WD MyBook that is Used to backup Echocardiogram file s- these are videos and stills. So the files exist on the laptop and on the 4TB External But I Want one more copy and then remove them from the Laptop. So I Was thinking a portable external SSD. How good or not good are the one on Newegg? Or are there enterprise grade ones that y'all like?

herby

Aug 18, 2013
They aren't really going to be like a enterprise SSD much at all. I believe they tend to just be consumer SSDs with a SATA to USB bridge, and as I understand it they loose TRIM support in the process.

That said the girlfriend has a MacBook with limited storage for games, and a Samsung T1 serves her pretty well as a secondary disk for that. It's based on 850 EVO, is much faster than any external hard drive would be, and I'm sure the endurance is way better than your usual flash drive.

To be honest I don't think your use case would require the features of an enterprise SSD. A external consumer SSD could serve you well if you don't mind sacrificing capacity of a spinning disk for greater speed.