How Does Microsoft ID Motherboard for Windows 10 Upgrade

Discussion in 'Software Stuff' started by Zack Hehmann, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Zack Hehmann

Zack Hehmann Member

Hello all,

I had a motherboard fail on me. I had done a Windows 10 free upgrade with it. I'm curious what ID Microsoft is using to identify the motherboard. I ended up making a post on reddit. I thought you guys might be more knowledgeable.

Here is my post -

Link to the reddit post.

Thanks for your time

2. maes

maes Member

You likely had Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 with a valid license key beforehand, right?

The free upgrade mechanism still works fine, so if you're going to reinstall the OS anyway you might start with the most barebone Win-pre-10 install with the valid key you had for that version then do the full upgrade to Win10 Pro?

3. turgin

turgin Member

Don’t even have to install the previous version first. You can still activate windows 10 with the old key.

4. Zack Hehmann

Zack Hehmann Member

Thanks for the suggestions. Turns out that when I swapped the BIOS chips, the ID that Microsoft uses to identify board was in the BIOS chip and activated Win 10 Pro automatically. I don't know if anyone on the internet discovered it already, but when I searched google for it, I wasn't able to find any results with that info. I may make a post in a few other places about it since I think it's neat and useful information.

Did anyone else know that is how Microsoft identifies motherboards for Windows activation?

5. Pouler

Pouler New Member

Are you sure that the Windows 10 can be activated with the old key?

6. turgin

turgin Member

I built a new Windows 10 test vm a month or so ago and it activated just fine.