How do you guys find IPMI devices on your network?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TangoWhiskey9

Jun 28, 2013
So here's what I'm running into at home. I bought many C2758 machines and a few of the C2550 ASrock and ASUS ones too.

When I'm at home, it's starting to get hard to find IPMI devices. When there were 3, I could remember and just know ok the new one is the 4th that just came online. Easy. Now it's hard. The list of devices now has grown to over 20 devices (all usually between 2.5A-5A!!!) so each new one is hard for me to see.

IPMIview sucks when you have a HiDPi screen. I can't see anything from my laptop. It's basically unusable. That's its own thread which I'll make so as not to derail this question.

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013
So here's what I'm running into at home. I bought many C2758 machines and a few of the C2550 ASrock and ASUS ones too.

When I'm at home, it's starting to get hard to find IPMI devices. When there were 3, I could remember and just know ok the new one is the 4th that just came online. Easy. Now it's hard. The list of devices now has grown to over 20 devices (all usually between 2.5A-5A!!!) so each new one is hard for me to see.

IPMIview sucks when you have a HiDPi screen. I can't see anything from my laptop. It's basically unusable. That's its own thread which I'll make so as not to derail this question.
You can label the devices with a unique name and additional properties in IPMIview. You will need to save the configuration on exit, which writes to a file in a Windows protected folder, so you need to run IPMIview as administrator.

TeeJayHoward

Feb 12, 2013
I've got 12 machines with IPMI at home right now. Here's how I find them. Let's say I want to connect to the IPMI device on my ESXi host... Let's say host #6. I open up a web browser, and go to http://esxi-06-ipmi/.

Done.

(Seriously, I don't even get the question.)

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
Static DNS based on the MAC address is ideal, then you get to it by name. To find new ones, see what is unassigned addresses there are.

For IPMIview, if you edit the security properties, you can give yourself permissions to edit the file. That's what I usually do.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
It doest have to be mac based dns. Just set static ip addresses for the IPMI...or set your dhcp server to register host names in dns. Pretty basic stuff really.

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
For IPMI or similar, I very much prefer the IP to be static personally. I run 100% virtual environments and sometimes the DHCP server isn't available on boot. Which is also true for DNS, but at least that might be cached on a workstation or something.