How do i virtualize the machines along with storage

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

kiddycody

Aug 27, 2018
Hello,

We are planning to virtualize our SQL cluster (3 machines) and Exchange Server (2 Machines) to Hyper V. I need some help how to do this.

We already have 3 node hyper v cluster using CSV. The plan is to add 2 more servers to the same cluster and move Exchange and SQL there.

For exchange and SQL the Database and Log Files are from SAN, what has to be done to migrate the storage as well and which product works the best.

Thank you all

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
the better question would be why do you want to virtualize storage? what is your final goal?
I did that last year. but in my case it was necessary as I did not have the budget for real SAN or vSAN.
I only had 2 nodes that I had to build hyper-v cluster on. keep in mind that if you put all storage inside each VM it will be good but can take a lot of time to live migrate. as it is not only the VM config needs to be moved bu whole data disks.

it is not easy to convert physical to virtual when it comes to exchange.
MSSQL is somewhat easy. create new VM. install MS SQL on it same version as you have or even newer.
bring SQL to single user mode and do backup. copy backup to VM and do restore.
also here is MS doc link Migrate a SQL Server database to SQL Server on a VM
for another way.

exchange may be a little trickier though.

Reactions: Tha_14

weust

Aug 15, 2014
If you're also running SCVMM you can do the P2V from in there iirc.
Been years since I last did that, but iirc it boots the server in a WinPE and does the P2V for you.

For MSSQL I would use the method as described by vl1969.

For Exchange I add a third server so you can do the right things regarding sector size for the disks.
Also been years, but you need to the right sector size otherwise Exchange will complain a lot (event logs).
And no doubt other things to consider. Read up on best practices for that.

Basically, you add a third server in your DAG.