How do I Power the Onboard SATA in a C6220 Node?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Spiffster

Dec 11, 2013
Denver, CO
I received a C6220 with 12 3.5 drive configuration and 4 nodes. I am wondering if there is any way to utilize the onboard SATA ports? I have the 12 drives in 6/0/6/0 config and I would like to additionally place an SSD in each node using onboard SATA connections (labeled SATA4 and SATA5). It looks like I would need to pull power from somewhere within the node, but I dont see any obvious connectors for SATA power on the node's MB. Is this even possible? Thanks!

TangoWhiskey9

Jun 28, 2013
It may be possible using USB or PCIe for power without splicing wires.

BTW spiffster can we get some pics? Which processors are you using with these? I'm interested to see whether you can use Ivy Bridge EP in these

Spiffster

Dec 11, 2013
Denver, CO
It may be possible using USB or PCIe for power without splicing wires.

BTW spiffster can we get some pics? Which processors are you using with these? I'm interested to see whether you can use Ivy Bridge EP in these
I am using a Sand-Bridge-EP proc (E5-2620)

So it looks like I will have to go the USB route to get power to the drive... Kinda a bummer, but at least its doable.