How can I use OS X to reshare an NFS share as AFP/SMB and manage ACL from OmniOS w/Napp-IT?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nle

Oct 24, 2012
EDIT: Title is a bit wrong, and I'm not able to edit. I want to manage ACL from OS X (not necessary OmniOS – but as long as it works I don't mind).

---

I have finally gotten around to upgrade to ESXi 5.5 and and upgraded from self installed OmniOS w/Napp-IT to the all-in-one Napp-IT image.

The only new thing I did was that I did not pass through my two NICs and aggregated them in OmniOS, instead i "teamed" them up in ESXi. That way all my VMs could benefit from the same NICs. I initially had some network performance issues, but using vmxnet3 instead of intel e1000 fixed that.

I have also set up an OS X server VM, and would like to use that to manage the shares to the network clients (to hopefully get spotlight up and working).

Software:
- ESXi 5.5
- VM1: OmniOS w/Napp-IT
- VM2: OS X Server (10.10.2)

Network:
- vSwitch0 – managment: 1 NIC for ESXi management
- vSwitch1 – storagenet: Switch for internal communication between VM.
- vSwitch2 – aggregated: 2 NICs "teamed" in ESXi

- OmniOS shares datapool via AFP and NFS (AFP from OmniOS can be removed if I get OS X to do the work)
- OS X can mount and interact with NFS share, but refuses to share it further due to ACL

How can I get OS X server to administer ACL?
What is the best way to set this up?

Thanks.

Last edited:

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
How can I get OS X server to administer ACL?
What is the best way to set this up?

Thanks.
There is no support for Windows alike nfs4 ACL in OSX so you cannot set them in OSX.

You can (on OmniOS AFP or SMB shares):
- manage them locally on OmniOS (/usr/bin/chmod)
- use SSH to manage them remotely from OSX (/usr/bin/chmod)
- use Windows (not every Windows version can set ACLs remotely)
- use the napp-it Web-UI + ACL extension

if you want to reshare from OSX
- use iSCSI to mount targets from OmniOS, format them as HFS+
(use them like a local disk on OSX)

or ask Steffen at OmniOS Package Repository: uulm.mawi
about the state of Spotlight support within OmniOS.

He is the maintainer of the netatalk package for OmniOS
But as far as I know this is not trivial because it needs Gnome and
Netatalk is end of live (Apple is moving to SMB as the default protocol)
so I would not expect that Spotlight support on OmniOS will ever happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: nle

nle

Oct 24, 2012
My main goal is to get the Spotlight feature to work – it would save alot of time searching for stuff.

According to this post Spotlight is supported with the OpenCSW netatalk package. I think that can be used with OmniOS?

I got it to install without problems, but got problems with the cnid database while trying to connect to the afp server.

Not sure if it could be possible to get Napp-It to use OpenCSW instead of the malwi source?

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
- I would not expect that packages for OI will work with OmniOS
- I would not even expect that these packages work with OI server but only with OI desktop edition.

Reactions: nle