How best to handles this Supermicro chassis stupidness?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Crimper - 0638117000 (be prepared for some serious sticker shock)
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I think I'll just get another one from frys for ten bucks. It's essentially a glorified pair of pliers and is actually easy to daisy chain with it. I just add a tiny bit of solder just for safety.

I have the original molex as well as a couple of generic ones for the atx and fan cables. Thhe molex was about $160 and the others were half the price but they are totally worth it.

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
Here's a picture of the system I am currently working on. Cut and sized all cables. Not to happy with the sas cables but they don't block airflow from the drive vents.
Check and see if Heilind has any of the flat 3M cables in the connectors + lengths you need.
I will be using the air shroud with this one as I need to direct air to the AiCs. I still need to add a couple of Supermicro NVMe adapters and the cables before cleaning and closing it up for good.
If you have a lot of add-in cards, the HA versions of the chassis will be a lot better, if there is a HA version of that model chassis. The SC836 comes in regular and HA, but your chassis looks like a 2RU version. The non-HA versions have 3 fans in the fan wall, 2 of which are completely under the shroud and one completely outside. If you lose that one fan, you have no cooling at all for anything outside the shroud. The HA has 4 higher-airflow fans in the fan wall and a little more than one and a half fans are not under the shroud. The only downside to the HA is if you are adding the dual 2.5" rear drive bay - you'll have to route the power and data cables out through the side of the power supply area because there's a PDB backplane blocking the ability to route them more cleanly. This probably only matters if you are using an oversize motherboard - even EATX have a reasonable gap between the edge of the motherboard and the start of the power supply cage.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Another question on Molex tools @Terry Kennedy .

I have Molex part number 0640160200 (Digi-Key WM17551-ND) as well as an MDPC-X crimper. The molex crimper gives much better crimps. But it is their "Service Grade" model where you line up the wire in a separate pad and align it in the tool and crimp. Do you know which is the corresponding "Premium Grade" model ?

Reactions: anoother

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
I have Molex part number 0640160200 (Digi-Key WM17551-ND) as well as an MDPC-X crimper. The molex crimper gives much better crimps. But it is their "Service Grade" model where you line up the wire in a separate pad and align it in the tool and crimp. Do you know which is the corresponding "Premium Grade" model ?
I have never researched the higher grades of Molex tooling. AMP (pre-Tyco) used to go right from the hand tool to manufacturing tools with varying levels of support for automation.

For Molex, I think that's WM14035-ND (63902-3900) for $3276.00