How are the motherboard and disks cooled down on a server chassis?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Jul 29, 2019
Hi,

I am considering moving my Supermicro X11SDV-4C-TP8F from a Fractal Design case to a server chassis like this one:

I've seen that cases like this one have a ventilation wall and the fans point to one direction. In setups like this, how does both the motherboard and the disks are cooled down?

I will have a cooler for the CPU, but I wonder if more coolers need to be installed, or the fans will cool down the whole system as they are.

On my desktop case, each zone has their own fans to ensure that both the motherboard and the disks are cooled down, but I haven't quite yet understood how both components on a server chassis get cooled down.

Best,

Francis

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
There are 4 fans that move air over all components? That's all that's required...

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
They pull air through the drive bays and push it over the MB. Normally the CPU would have a passive heatsink with fins aligned front-back. In some cases they include an air shroud or other mechanism to ensure enough air flows over the CPU heatsink. But for that MB in that chassis you should be fine without any kind of air shroud.

Jul 29, 2019
They pull air through the drive bays and push it over the MB. Normally the CPU would have a passive heatsink with fins aligned front-back. In some cases they include an air shroud or other mechanism to ensure enough air flows over the CPU heatsink. But for that MB in that chassis you should be fine without any kind of air shroud.
Great! Thanks a lot @PigLover ! I am also considering keep using the CPU fan to ensure it will cool enough.

Jul 29, 2019
Can't hurt. It should also allow you to run the fans in the fan wall slower which should make it much quieter.
That's the idea. Although I might replace the fans with Noctua Fans so that the drives can be kept as cool as possible without generating too much noise. The server will be on a basement, but it's a shared basement, so I don't want to annoy anyone with too much noise.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
but I haven't quite yet understood how both components on a server chassis get cooled down
The fans pull the air through the front bays and the backplane and push the air through the chassis to the rear. In order to push the air through the chassis and through the fins of heatsinks the vendors use fans that produce high static pressure.
Can't hurt. It should also allow you to run the fans in the fan wall slower which should make it much quieter.
I tried different combinations for a x10sdv on a 3u supermicro chassis and the best result for noise and cooling capacity was with an active heatsink + airshroud.

Jul 29, 2019
The fans pull the air through the front bays and the backplane and push the air through the chassis to the rear. In order to push the air through the chassis and through the fins of heatsinks the vendors use fans that produce high static pressure.

I tried different combinations for a x10sdv on a 3u supermicro chassis and the best result for noise and cooling capacity was with an active heatsink + airshroud.
Er... What's an airshroud? :)