Hotswap bottleneck?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

fs99erab

Mar 30, 2017
Hi,
I am new to server chassis and have been thinking about buying a new server chassi for my home server.
Something like this:
X339-C4 LCD. Short 3u with 4 Hotswap bays

I have a question regarding the hotswap funtionality. I've noticed that in some descriptions, they mention that the chassi support 6gb/s sata and 8 TB hard drives.
Does some hotswap backplanes have restrictions regarding this? I need my chassi to support both 6bg/s sata and 8 TB hard drives.

Br,
Eric

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Welcome:)

Yes, sometimes the backplane is an active component which then needs to support a certain standard to be able to use it. This might happen especially with expander backplanes where you have less cables to the mainboard then drives in the hotswap bay.

Then you have direct attached bays which route the signal through - there it does not matter which drives you add as the signal is not modified.

fs99erab

Mar 30, 2017
Thank you for your quick response! :)

So if I understand you correctly. If there are as many sata-connectors as there are hotswap spaces. There shouldn't be any problem?

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Thats usually the case from my experience, yes. Everything you buy new nowadays should be able to cope with Sata3 as well :)