Horaco ZX-SWTG3C12F - 12* 10g SFP+ L3 Managed Switch

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Nov 12, 2023
Hello there,

Anyone got some experiences with this switch? STH has a good review on their 8* 2.5g and 1* SFP+ Port Switch, but I can't find anything on the forums nor the page on this one.
12 SFP+ Ports and L3 Management for under 300 Euro shipped is a great deal but would love to hear from others having the switch first. Especially throughput and power consumption would interest me. If someone could throw in experience with RJ45 adapters and 2.5g connections it would be a huge bonus for me :)

Best regards
Ben

Nov 12, 2023
I pulled the trigger and ordered the switch. Together with the ZX-SWTGW218AS, which is a 8port 2.5g managed switch but just with one 10g SFP+ uplink. Will be suffice for my home network and will account any need for the next couple of years. Will end up with 7 useable SFP+ (12 minus router/2*NAS/main pc) ports and 6 useable 2.5 RJ45 ports (8 minus AP/living room pc).

Will report once everything has arrived and I've got some experience in setting everything up, creating VLANs and so on.

One of the images claims a 12V 8A PSU, so 96W max.
That's correct so far. But I doubt that it uses 96W all the time. But like said: Pulled the trigger and will come back with some experience in using this switch.

Nov 12, 2023
Got the switch after 4 weeks ... using it now for around 6 weeks.
Power consumption is 10 Watts. Hardly adding a full Watt per SFP to it per added DAC or fiber module (using Brocade modules and generic DACs). Switch fan is super load. However you can open the switch (need to remove one sticker for one screw, so would expect I've voided my guarantee) and unplug the fan. It's a generic 40mm fan driven at full force. Maybe it would improve with a Noctua one. But without a fan the switch gets hand warm with 5 active components attached and just some internet traffic and some mild media server usage. Wouldn't use it that way at a datacenter or lan party as a core switch where loads and loads of traffic goes through it. But the chassis is being unscrewed within a minute. So no biggy IMHO.

WebUI is ok. If you've seen one, you've seen them all. Usable as a core switch indeed if you don't need power redundancy. OK for small lan parties and/or personal homelab. Also ok for small businesses on a very tight budget. Lot of bang for your buck - 12 SFP+ ports could add six access switches with 48 ports and two SFP+ uplinks no problem.

Reactions: blunden

miked1

Mar 15, 2017
J/W how's it holding up still? I'm eyeing one as a homelab network core. Did it come with rack ears and screw holes or desktop only? Did you ever replace the fan with something from Noctua or similar and do you recall if the fan pin header was 2 pin or 3 pin? I doubt I'll be able to get away with a screaming switch fan.