Homelab - ESXI 6.7 wont remount drive after power outage

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

F1ydave

Mar 9, 2014
ESXI 6.7 wont remount drive after power outage. I have tried 30 different CLI tutorials claiming to have a fix for this. It appears this has been an issue since Esxi 4.0. I am surprised that VMware has never released a tool to fix this.

Drive works fine, DiskInternals VMFS Recovery had no problem accessing the drive remotely, unfortunately it doesn't solve the drive access and it costs $700 just for a simple file recovery. I know that I need to somehow fix the Esxi access.

GUI gives me the option to add a new datastore from the device menu. I am worried it would wipe the vmfs partition if I proceeded with this.

Anyone have any ideas how to resolve this?

F1ydave

Mar 9, 2014
Update: vCenter added the drive to a different server on its own. I dont know why. It appears to be blank as well. I guess I am going to have to try to recover the drive now.

I know vCenter can do some crazy stuff but its amazing to me that it re-mounted the drive to a different physical server on my home network, lol.