HomeGrid - Server2016 DDA + Steam Inhome Streaming

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

C4PPY

Jun 14, 2013
Denmark
Hallo All!

We are redoing the whole house and therefore i am looking into more solutions to virtualize more and more of the machines. Have allready move my workstation to a VM and using a Asrock Desk-Mini 110 som client and all the heavy lifting on the VM.

But then i had the idea to refresh my VM host with one(read two) new hosts and useing the Xeon D-15xx as the main building block. Low power and more then enough speed for my home(lab). Then on top of this would be a Nvidia Grid K520 if i could get one within the budget on eBay. Then make two VM´s with each a K520 gpu and use one for my main client and the other for living room / lounge gaming.

So my question for you is would a Xeon D-1521 and the Nvidia Grid K520 play nice? Would it be enough power to let me stream some games to my clients. Dont have to play AAA titles on ultra.
Have someone tried this combo? Or am i just foolish for giving it a thought?

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Foolish? Nope, I think Sony does something like this with the playstation.

Games are usually limited by the gpus and the vram. Considering that the k520 is advertised for "cloud gaming" platforms I don't think it will be the limiting factor and that you should give it a try.

Concurrent # Users: 2-16
Concurrent users measured using the number of simultaneous 720p30 H.264 encodes. The number of concurrent users depends on game type, settings, and screen resolution.
Specs & Features of GRID Cloud Gaming GPUs | NVIDIA