Home switch suggestion?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tullnd

Apr 19, 2016
USA
Hi,
This is my first post, but I've been browsing this forum for quite some time(eventually rebuilding some home servers). I have just purchased a home and would like to get some advice on some basic networking suggestions for wiring the home. This place seems to have a lot of people who seem to be aware of a lot of various equipment out there and also able to identify good deals.

Need: a managed switch
- probably 24 port(higher is fine...16 port would work if super cheap)
- POE optional(will need in the future for IP cams, can purchase a 2nd one later unless I strike an awesome deal for the primary)
- located in basement, so noise isn't an issue
- needs to support layer 2 is all
- at least one sfp port(sfp+ would be awesome, but not really necessary)
- a very basic web gui would be nice, but not needed
- hopefully $250 or under if possible (a little flex on this, especially if extra features are there)

Use: 1Gb/250Mb internet connection, heavy user does a lot of data transfer(up and down) across a few boxes in my LAN and regularly taxes the WAN as well. I've done link aggregation previously to speed up some file transfers between servers/NAS and would like to be able to set that up across this new switch as well.

The sfp is to connect to a Cisco SG300-10 that I'll have mounted at my entertainment center(6 devices there that connect). Yes, I know I can just do ethernet, but that connection will just be for fun. An additional SFP port or even SFP+ would be great for some other gear I'll have later on, but again, not necessary.

I'm hoping you guys can suggest some used enterprise class equipment I can get off Ebay or something. I have VERY limited experience with any router CLI's, but I can learn. Hence why I said a basic web GUI would be nice...that's just to facilitate getting it up and basically working. I don't mind using CLI for the overall config and would enjoy learning. I also work for an ISP, so there are plenty of CCNA's at work I can pester(they're all Juniper, Cisco and Alcatel equipment).

I should note that my internet connection will be a 1Gb/250Mb GPON setup, so I can saturate the gigabit speeds on my servers or workstations fairly often, hence why I'm going a little overkill.

I've browsed some cheap non-POE 24 port switches like the Mikrotik CRS226-24g-1S and the TP-Link T1600G-28TS which are sub $200. They meet the bare minimum requirements, hence why I was curious if something used could be purchased that's a lot beefier.

I feel like that was way too many words.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
Do you like the SG300 that you have now? If you're familiar with it's UI and happy with it the sg300-28p can be found on ebay around 300 (over budget but has POE)

Reactions: tullnd

tullnd

Apr 19, 2016
USA
Hmmm I've been happy with my SG300. You're right, I see a few of those 28p's out there, some even at $250. That's a pretty good option I think! Thanks!

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
I would suggest perhaps a used Cisco WS3560G-24S. 24 x 1Gbps plus 2 x SFP ports. You will already be familiar with Cisco configuration so that's a plus. When you add your camera system later, you can install an 8 or 16 port inline power injector. Most decent cameras nowadays are not POE, they are POE+ so you'll need the extra oomph.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Are the newer fanless models also so low power ? Looks like a good option for a bigger port count low power switch.

cheezehead

Sep 23, 2012
Midwest, US
The 8-port is also fanless and POE....just wish the 24-port had some POE ports. It's a smart switch so there's a light weight web-based interface for it. IMO they work great for a general purpose house switch (outside of some 10gb or infiniband needs in home labs).

cheezehead

Sep 23, 2012
Midwest, US
Are the newer fanless models also so low power ? Looks like a good option for a bigger port count low power switch.
I'm not sure, the 1810 G1 switches were all provision-based... the newer replacement line is all comware-based (H3C acquisition). The newer ones supported some of the green ethernet features and one or two other layer-3 features but dropped the lifetime warranty.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
My 1810G arrived today. It will serve my purposes nicely. Only thing I really need it to outside of the basics is Jumbo Frames. Love that it's fanless. :)

tullnd

Apr 19, 2016
USA
Ok, so a friend just let me know he had some old Dell switches in storage. I have a 2724 and a 2748 coming to me. There may be a bad uplink port on the 2748, but otherwise they're supposedly fine. Reviews on these are less than stellar, but they're free lol. So I'll try and setup everything first with these, just to get stuff moving. If I run into issues, I see several good options presented here as alternatives.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Now to build up a PFsense box to handle multi WAN fail over, since I'll have dual ISP feeds at the new home for a bit.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Just updated the firmware on my 1810G. HP makes it stupid easy, I like that. :)