Home switch recommendation.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dandanio

Oct 10, 2017
Hey Guys,

I think I have reached the limit with my 2920's. I have a 48p POE HP aruba 2920 with 2 10G modules (4 ports) in the basement, serving my network. This thing is a workhorse and I love it. I have just finished wiring the upstairs and built myself a network closet. I have also ran a pair of MM fiber from the basement to this closet. Now, upstairs, I was planning on putting in a 2920-24p and link them with what I was hoping would be LACP'd 2x10G MM. It turns out I probably won't be able to do so because SFPs are only 1G. <sadness>.

Soliciting options from you. Replacing those 2920s with 2930s is possible, but $$$. Also, I would lose 10GBASE-T that I use for my vmWare environment. I could get a 10G dedicated switch for it though.

What would you guys recommend? Requirements: 48p and 24p gig, poe (POE+ welcome), snmp, managed, 10g link between (MM). Link Aggregation desired. I'd love some post-lease, but reasonable $. Mikrotik is an option, but what else is there? Budget: 2k? 3k? (the less the better, ofc). I usually know what I am doing around those devices, I can also subnet. :D Please help.

I x-posted it to r/homenetworking for greater reach.

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
you could get cisco nexus switches - they are cheapest option i know off (tho no poe as they are fiber.) The sfp int will need to be cisco branded.
// They are loud, and likely you'll have problems obtaining firmware upgrades, if you happen to need them.

Zedicus

Jul 12, 2018
used brocade and quanta switches are kind of the de-facto standard for jumping into a home lab build. i definitely used them for a long time.

the ubiquiti unifi line has an easy to use GUI and actually can work out well. but also has its challenges, and the community surrounding this gear is.... unique.

LodeRunner

Apr 27, 2019
used brocade and quanta switches are kind of the de-facto standard for jumping into a home lab build. i definitely used them for a long time.

the ubiquiti unifi line has an easy to use GUI and actually can work out well. but also has its challenges, and the community surrounding this gear is.... unique.
Also finding what you want in stock can be a challenge.

altmind

Sep 23, 2018
Also finding what you want in stock can be a challenge.
you're kidding. theres plenty of brocade used switches, 2300 on ebay rn. quanta - is a problem, they are ONIE, and white-label products are meant for companies with own network-dev teams. i would personally recommend for any homelaber to stay away from NOS/whitelabel/ONIE - most(none?) of you are capable of customizing the switch chips - so what you gain from the white label?

LodeRunner

Apr 27, 2019
I was unclear since I didn’t edit the quote but that was meant to be a specific comment on the random availability of Ubiquiti products.

Reactions: Zedicus

Zedicus

Jul 12, 2018
the unifi ecosystem has....quirks. still, i come from totally custom white box builds, using OpenWRT and various other router OS distros. as long as you research and are willing to put in the effort, unifi is good. compared to white box network builds, unifi is less work.