Home server for Ubiquiti controller

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Ben7230

Jul 12, 2016
Hello, I am looking into a building home sever for my Ubiquiti unifi and unifi video controllers also I want it for a file sever or NAS. My question is what is my best hardware options. I want it to be a windows based system because that is what I am most familar with, also I would like to stay with an intel chip.

Other reqierments:

Fanless
under 50 watts normal use power draw
small form, mini itx prefered
small case with room for 2 hdd for future expansion

Other questions

how much ram?
which cpu? atom, celeron
a small ssd for the OS 32Gb, 64Gb?
and a 1Tb hdd for the unifi video and file sever
windows 7 or windows10?
Software for NAS that runs on Windows

forgive me for all the questions, this is something new for me. would like to do it right the first time. :)

Thank you in advance, Benjamin

pyro_

Oct 4, 2013
At least for the unifi controller side of things why not look at their cloud key. Small low power and fairly cheap. Runs off of POE power

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

j_h_o

Apr 21, 2015
California, US
Here's something to consider:
  1. Supermicro Atom system. A1SRi-2758F or something.
  2. 16GB or 32GB RAM
  3. I'd do an Intel S3500-S3700 SSD. I'd do 200GB-400GB for OS. Don't do 32-64 for a Windows server. It won't end well.
  4. Windows will do the file sharing already. There are a variety of redundancy/parity options for your files; you probably wouldn't actually do RAID.
  5. Supermicro SC721TQ-250B chassis
What's your budget?

BTW, I also use the UniFi video NVR and UniFi WiFi controllers. I would strongly recommend against running it on Windows; it performs better on Debian and runs better there. The system I listed above could allow you to run Debian in a Hyper-V VM, so that your file serving (on bare metal) is still in an environment you're comfortable with.

Last edited:

Hadrien

Jun 18, 2014
I have a dinky debian 7 VM on vmware that does this. Works perfectly...
Do this. I have moved all of my cloud controllers to Ubuntu or Debian and they have been much easier to update and FAR more stable than running it in Windows. Stay away from Windows if you can, or get the cloud key like pyro_ mentioned.