Home Server Buildout

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Thileuse

Jun 15, 2014
So, I’m looking to build out my current Virtual Environment since I’m running into the limits of 32GB of ram and an E3 Xeon even when I’m under sizing all of my VMs. This should give me PLENTY of room to grow. Here is what I’m looking to build.

12 Bay Dell C2100 – Storage Server

· 24GB ram

· 1x Xeon L5630

· 2 port 4GB FC HBA - QLogic

· H200 flashed to HBA

· 4x 1TB 7200 Spinners, 2x ZFS mirrors

· 6x 4TB WD Reds in a RaidZ2

I’m not sure if this would be the best chassis to use. I’m not sure if there are other better ones out there for this purpose.

2x HP Dl160 G6 – ESXi 5.5 Hosts

· 72GB ram

· 2x Xeon X5650

· 1 port 4GB FC HBA - Emulex

12 Bay Dell C2100 – Backup Server

· 24GB ram

· 1x Xeon L5630

· H200 flashed to HBA

· 11x 4TB in RaidZ3 or 12X 4TB in 2x 6 disk RaidZ2

I’m not sure if this would be the best chassis to use. I’m not sure if there are other better ones out there for this purpose.

I am not exactly sure what OS I am going to use for ZFS, I’m looking at OpenIndia, OmniOS, and OpenSolaris with the Napp-IT front end.

The ESXi servers would be controlled with VMWare DPM/iLO so that both of them are not powered on and idling all of the time. Two of these ESXi servers is probably overkill but I will be using this as an ESXi Lab in the not so distant future.

Now, I am looking here to see if there is anything that is obviously wrong that I am missing before I start to go out and buy hardware. I am open to suggestions on other brands of hardware and ways of approaching this. I would prefer rack mount since I can keep in in my garage in my rack, therefor taking up less space and not being inside. Any help/guidance would be appreciated.

On a side note, do you guys think that the Dell C6220’s will be a worthwhile upgrade when they start coming out in full force in a year or so? If so would they be a worthwhile upgrade to this environment?