Home router upgrade

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
Getting my internet upgraded later this week. Currently using Mikrotik 951 G router, which was fine for 50mbps, but not sure if this gonna handle 500mbps now (upgradable to 1gbps, but unlikely).
I'll be getting static IP, so ideally I'd like to have some sort of VPN server, but I can always do it with one VM inside of my network.

I was thinking of
-Cisco ASA
-Juniper SRX
-Ubiquiti USG (and getting AP later).
-Any VM (vSRX for example) inside of my network: sounds promising, but will be down, when I need to work on server with that VM.

Any other ideas?

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
PFSense on CPU which support AES-NI. It should be able to handle 500mbps on core i3-8100 or so.

arglebargle

H̸̖̅ȩ̸̐l̷̦͋l̴̰̈ỏ̶̱ ̸̢͋W̵͖̌ò̴͚r̴͇̀l̵̼͗d̷͕̈
Jul 15, 2018
A handful of us are running AMD RX-427BB machines as hypervisors for this. Check out the HP T730 thin client or the DFI DT122-BE, they're both very capable little AMD machines that can easily host a pair of router VMs with lots of overhead to spare.

Initially I was just looking at a single firewall box, then I realized I could host a pair of firewall VMs on that box and do A/B upgrades without losing service. Then I thought I'd like to be able to take the hypervisor down for maintenance without losing service as well and it just spiraled from there.

I'm working on clustering a pair of these as Proxmox nodes with failover for a pair of pfSense VMs. My project goals are to be able to route/firewall 10GbE inside my network at (close to) line rate, route/firewall 1Gbps WAN, to be able to take down either of the clustered hypervisors for maintenance without losing routing, to be able to upgrade/reboot my A/B router VMs without losing routing, and to keep all of this running for under ~70-80W 24/7.

It's definitely a learning experience for someone who hasn't touched much of this before but I'm enjoying it. I haven't tested single thread openvpn performance but I imagine it's totally serviceable for phoning home and if you fired up 2-4 docker openvpn docker containers and used pfSense to form a gateway group I imagine you'd get at least 500Mbps throughput over the vpn, if not more. You could use openvpn from within the pfSense VM but I have a suspicion that running it natively on the linux hypervisor with more recent software will give better throughput.

If you're interested check out WANg's thread on the T730 here:
https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...ient-as-an-hp-microserver-gen7-upgrade.20454/

I don't know if we have a similar discussion thread for the DFI machine (it's basically a desktop mITX clone of the thin client) but the deal thread with other discussion for that machine is here:
https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...-pc-barebones-no-ram-99-110-bo-shipped.22009/

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
That T730 is a really good idea. I guess I can play with VM on my main rig, and decide if I need another small ESXi host for that.
I like the idea of having some other VMs on that small host as well.

Reactions: nikalai

arglebargle

H̸̖̅ȩ̸̐l̷̦͋l̴̰̈ỏ̶̱ ̸̢͋W̵͖̌ò̴͚r̴͇̀l̵̼͗d̷͕̈
Jul 15, 2018
Reactions: nikalai