Home networking advice

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mmmmmdonuts

Mar 22, 2012
I am looking at wiring my home I just bought with Ethernet and cable throughout. My setup is currently has an antenna for OTA in the attic, which has a homerun to the basement where the house connects with the cable line. (just put that in). There is also a cable for just the internet in the basement where the cable from the pole comes in. There is older RG6 ran into the dining room, 2 in the living room and 1 in one of the bedrooms, but they are just punched through the floor or a small hole in the wall. My house is a split level home but it is multiple stories that zig zag throughout the house.

Left Side Right Side
1st Floor Basement Garage/Den
2nd Floor Living Room/Kitchen/Dining 3 Bedroom/Bathroom
3rd Floor 4th Bedroom Attic

Each level has stairs that connect the next level. There are stairs that lead from the basement to the garage/den area. From that area there are stairs that lead to the living room directly which is over the basement along with kitchen and dining room. Then there are stairs that lead up to the second floor where the bedrooms and bathroom is. This section is directly over the garage/Den which are on a slab. Then the last floor does the same exact thing with it being almost identical above the other floor.

Right now my plan would be as follows. Put a 2 wall panels in each of the three bedrooms upstairs, run it up through the attic and then down through the basement following the homerun I did with the attic cable. I would then split the cable at the antenna, and feed the cable to each bedroom directly in the attic. The only issue I see with this is I will then have the vast majority of my runs going ~75-100ft to get to the basement where I would run the patch panel.

My other thought is to put the patch panel / switch actually in the attic bedroom closet. The only thing I worry about there is the heat and huge temperature swings that location would see as far as switches are concerned, along with having to either run a long cable to get up to the attic via either Ethernet or coax so I can get the cable internet up there. (Probably Coax) I would then have to wire then have the living room and dining room and kitchen run down into the basement and have to fish it up to the attic for the Ethernet cables.

The only other option would to possibly put in a home run Ethernet cable from the two patch panels via a switch but I would think one central location would be better.

Any thoughts, comments or suggestions or tips to best do this. The way I look at it is I have to do long runs for about half the cables. I also am not sure which environment is better for the equipment in the long run. An unfinished basement or an attic closet that is refinished.

I will be using in wall rated CAT6 and bought a 1000ft panel recently. I have a 24 port patch panel I just purchased as well and for now will be using a 16 port unmanaged switch that I have laying around until I can get a 24 port more expensive switch. All coax is RG6 quad cable.

Thanks

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
I wired my house for Cat5e many years ago. It turns out that I use the wiring for running audio, video, serial, phone, and IR as much as I do Ethernet networking. So my advice would be to home-run everything to a single location, and make sure that that location is about three times bigger than your current needs!

mini-me01

Aug 6, 2013
I will add that if you have the space, run structured wiring cable (bundled 2 Cat 5e/6 and 2 RG6). If space is a premium, skip the two runs of RG6 and run extra Cat wire which can be used for lot more things like audio, IR, etc as dba pointed out.

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
I will add that if you have the space, run structured wiring cable (bundled 2 Cat 5e/6 and 2 RG6). If space is a premium, skip the two runs of RG6 and run extra Cat wire which can be used for lot more things like audio, IR, etc as dba pointed out.
I went with this really nice structured cable with two Cat5e, two RH6, and two fiber. As of now, I'm using only the Cat5 cables!

mmmmmdonuts

Mar 22, 2012
Thanks for the advice. I was going to run to access points since I have a pfsense router on my server already directly connected to the cable modem. I would put the access points in two areas in the house apart from each other. I then plan on running 2" pvc to the basement to the attic and put fire block to seal the ports up. I plan on putting one for low voltage and one for high voltage so I have access to the attic and basement quite easily. This will go in between the walls in my garage where I don't care if I take down the drywall.

mini-me01

Aug 6, 2013
I went with this really nice structured cable with two Cat5e, two RH6, and two fiber. As of now, I'm using only the Cat5 cables!
I used to do some home automation on the side for friends. One of the problems with the fiber bundled in the structured wire is the evolving standards like cat 5e vs. cat 6. Unless the bundled fiber is OM3 or higher, I don't see the benefit. The same argument could easily be made against running RG6 as everything moves to IP. Cat wire is probably the best bet at this point with potentially some OM3 fiber drops mixed in.

hagak

Oct 22, 2012
I have a closet that is pretty much in the center of my house on the second floor. When I was pulling cable for the house, I put a single drop on the wall near the ceiling in this closet just for an access point. My switch has POE and so I got an access point with POE so no issues with power.

At the time I had planned on installing a second AP in the basement since I did not think this one would cover it, however after install the AP in that closet I saw no need for a second one for the inside of the house. Course now I am wishing I had a stronger signal on the back deck, but waiting on that since I we plan to get new siding for the house soon and I bet that will make a world of difference. Current siding is Aluminium and I bet when it gets replaced with vinyl my signal might improve.

mmmmmdonuts

Mar 22, 2012
I am partially done with running some of the cables through the walls and it is going great so far. My next question I have is anyone have any ideas for a 24 port managed gigabit switch? Budget is ~$200 but can go max to $250. I was looking at the following (on ebay of course).

HP 1810-24g
Zyxel GS1910-24

I was leaning towards the Zyxel, it seems to have more features but I know the 1810 has a lifetime warranty. I would also like to be as low power as possible as well if at all possible.

Thanks

Mike

May 29, 2012
EU
I've had good luck with the Linksco sg200 so far. About the same price as the models you brought up. The hp 1810 v2 may or may NOT be what you want.

mini-me01

Aug 6, 2013
I've owned a couple 1810-24g v1's (J9450A) and they are very reliable, quiet and use little power (15-20w). These can be purchased for $150 on ebay. If there is ever a problem with the switch, HP will do an advanced replacement with no questions asked and free shipping. I tried the Zyxel once and something was not "right" I couldn't put my finger on it but it was returned within 30 days.

I would say that with the lifetime warranty and low price on eBay, the HP is a no-brainer. You might even consider the 1810-48G (J9660A / $300 on ebay) as your port use will expand faster than you think.

mmmmmdonuts

Mar 22, 2012
I've had good luck with the Linksco sg200 so far. About the same price as the models you brought up. The hp 1810 v2 may or may NOT be what you want.
Why what is wrong with v2? Only thing I saw was it might mount a little differently in a rack

Mike

May 29, 2012
EU
They are indeed smaller and have those adapter plates for mounting in a rack. However, there are a bunch of features missing. From the top of my head; SNMP and a bunch of other stuff. You may want to do some digging before deciding on one or the other.