Home network upgrading

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

caplam

Dec 12, 2018
It seems to me this post is more related to networking but if you disagree feel free to move it elsewhere.
Until now my network has been a very simple flat one: a bridge dsl modem, a router (unifi usg3), a core switch (hp 2810-48G), an unmanaged poe switch (dlink dgs 1008P), an unmanaged switch (DGS1016D).
No vlan.
I want to use it in a better way.
I also have :
around 40 clients (20 wireless, 20 wired)
a synology nas (DS1815+, 4 nics)
a qnap nas (TS639 pro, 2 nics) used for backup (content of syno and vm from the proxmox hosts)
a proxmox host with 1 nic
a proxmox host (HP N54L) with 1 nic
I have clients for video streaming (apple tv, beelink mini mxIII,... with kodi or plex)
other for audio streaming (natives squeezeboxes and players from lms) . Media content is hosted on the synology.
I plan to host vm on synology (with ssd cache) and use nfs storage in proxmox for that.
The vms hosted in proxmox need also to access to the syno media content. Today it's done via smb share for lms, kodi, plex, sonarr,....

I'm a bit confused when i try to plan a new network organisation, especially when i try to figure out how to configure nics and vlans.
So here is what i plan to do:
-Setup a vlan for storage : in this vlan there will be the syno, the 2 proxmox hosts. I have to figure out how to maximise troughput and iops for the vm. Nfs v4 with multipath and jumbo frames is probably the way to go.
But the vm need also to access the syno smb shares for media content. So do i have to add a nic in the hosts ?
-Set up a vlan for smarthome devices, camera. I also need to access from my laptop for configuration and firmware upgrade. Some devices are wired and other wireless. Wifi access is provided by unifi ap with a controller in a lxc container.
Dhcp and dns are provided by dnsmasq on lxc container. Can it provide these services for different vlans?
I also need to be able to ssh in the vms, the hosts... from my laptop
I know it will easier to stay with a flat network but i want to learn.
When i see which devices need to talk to others i think i must not setup vlans (except for the nfs vm hosting).

If someone has the same types of devices and needs could you point me in the right direction ?