Home Network Control

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

spyrule

I have had a play with XG, I prefer UTM 9 over it though.

As for Sophos@home, It's a per device based AV/Firewall solution, not a network solution. Think of it as a thin-proxy of sorts. It's worked well for me at my parents place. standard router/modem device from the ISP then Sophos@home for their actual computers. Made my life so much easier and i can monitor/manage it from the net without any issues.
See, THAT is a perfect situation for a tool like this... great idea.

xbliss

Sep 26, 2015
SuperMicro A1SRi-2558f mobo, 8GB of ram, and installed my OS on a spare 60GB SSD. The thing simply rocks. I use pretty much all features of Sophos UTM 9 (Home), and the thing doesn't blink an eye at it. On average, 9-12% cpu, 20% ram, and 1-3% hdd/cache/log space.
Based on your usage of UTM and its CPU activity.. How are the following? Are they overkill over the old atoms?

Build your Own Sophos UTM - MCK.NET
Recommend me a low power cpu/mobo for Sophos • /r/homelab

spyrule

Either would be fine tbh. However, if you want true stability, look for something with ecc memory support (which was one of the reasons why I got the A1Sri). Which, btw you can still buy on Amazon for $250 US. Even if its last gen Atom, its still more then fast enough for a small network. Now, if you were doing more networks, or multiple VPN's with SIP and a bunch of other stuff, then I'd look at more powerful hardware. The only real benefit of the newer atom (unless you go with the 2750), is lower power consumption at 14W vs 20W.