Home 10Gb Network advice to go with CRS305-1G-4S+IN

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jolness

May 25, 2020
I have a small network that I would like to upgrade to 10gbe. I have a freeNAS server running on a super micro x10-drl-i board, a windows workstation and a MacBook Pro. My server is about 3 feet away from my desk so from a cabling standpoint, it should be simple.

Current Plan is as follows:

- CRS305-1G-4S+IN
- Intel X520-DA2 (one for each desktop)
- A usb/thunderbolt 5gbe ethernet adaptor (I would love to do 10gbe but price delta is high so I will wait)
- DAC cables for the server and the workstation
- SFP+ to ethernet adaptor for the MacBook (open to suggestions on these)

Will likely be using the 1gbe for the internet connection but am considering using the final 10gbe but my network is currently 1gbe and internet bandwidth isn't a problem at the moment, the big issue is the bandwidth limitation inside the network. If I should use the SFP to ethernet adaptor in the final port for the internet connection, please let me know.

Any and all notes, suggestions etc. is welcome. I am not very familiar with SFP+ or 10gb networking and would love to be able to order it all in one go and get something that works correctly. I just wanna make sure I am not missing something.

Thanks in Advance!
Jacob

JediAcolyte

May 29, 2020
US
I have been using a SuperMicro AOC-STGN-I2S dual port card in my desktop for the past 6-8 months and had no issues with it. I haven't done anything special to cool it but I'm just using one port and my case airflow is pretty good. YMMV
Good luck!

Reactions: jolness

jolness

May 25, 2020
I have been using a SuperMicro AOC-STGN-I2S dual port card in my desktop for the past 6-8 months and had no issues with it. I haven't done anything special to cool it but I'm just using one port and my case airflow is pretty good. YMMV
Good luck!
I've got solid airflow in my case and there is even a side intake for 140mm fan to blow right onto the add in cards if it comes down to it. I will only be using one port as well I'm sure but I'm planning on buying a two-part card just in case things change. At that point, I will wish that I bought a larger switch but I can't foresee that happening. I have a few other devices hooked up but they are all either Wi-Fi or relatively low bandwidth.
What kind of cabling are you using? I've heard that the sfp+ to ethernet can get kinda warm, not dangerously or anything but I figure if I don't have to use ethernet for all of the devices then I won't

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
I tried AOC-STGN-I2S(rev 2.0) and Solarflare 5122F on linux and connected them to CRS305-1G-4S+IN with Mikrotik compatible DACs by a full-filed by Amazon seller without issues. Also, a FreeBSD with Solarflare 5122F to a same nic on linux with a same DAC cable has no issue, too.

I saw someone suggested Sonnet and QNAP thunderbolt 3 to SFP+ adapters in this forum. But I haven't tried them.

Tom5051

Jan 18, 2017
I've got some x520-DA2 recently and they have a decent heat sink with no over heating. There is a thread on here about booting up with ubuntu on a USB stick and using ETHTOOL to alter the bios on the Intel x520 so it will accept non-Intel DACS and Optics. Been using FS.com generics no problem.
I recently bought a Sonnet 10G SFP+ Thunderbolt 3 dongle for my laptop $199USD and it is silent while remaining mildly warm. QNAP make one too but it has a small fan inside.